44 Stevens reinforeced late model is 32-40

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

44 Stevens reinforeced late model is 32-40

Post by mdeland »

I was given a 32-40 Stevens barreled action in factory chambering which appears still tight. I'm wonder if these "inhansed models" will stretch if used with smokeless factory loads as the earlier models often do ?
VBull

Re: 44 Stevens reinforeced late model is 32-40

Post by VBull »

Mike,
I've replaced link pins in one of each of the model 44's you mentioned. I didn't ask what they were using for loads but told them to learn how to make black powder work in them or use light 165 gr bullets and mild smokeless if they were going to continue using them. One of the pins was cracked and the owner stopped loading when he noticed it would not close up tight. The breech block was "floppy". I don't think he realized how lucky he was.
mdeland

Re: 44 Stevens reinforeced late model is 32-40

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Frank, this is my first personally owned 44 and I suspected the design , even with the hammer helping support the block in the late models, was still the limiting factor. I was very surprised to learn Stevens chambered this model in both 32-40 and believe it or not 38-55. I've been told they both will hold up well if only black powder is used but was skeptical.