dip netting the Keni

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

dip netting the Keni

Post by mdeland »

Just got back from our annual trip to the mouth of the Keni for dip netting our winter supply of salmon. We did pretty well getting 66 total with half being Silvers's which is pretty unusual. I think we only got two pinks this year and all the rest were Reds. Nice bright fish right out of the salt water.
Now the work begins! :lol: We got about a third of them fillet-ed and vacuum packed this AM for my third daughter so she could get on the road back to Fairbanks and will hopefully finish up our own tonight . I think I will smoke some of these.
We fish the beach on the South bank of the mouth of the Keni river and you have to four wheel about a mile down beach to where we fish. The sand is pretty soft and it's easy to get bogged down especially if to far out from the high water tide line. Well on the way out we see this new Ford Diesel 450 with duel wheels stuck out below the high water tide line and it's coming in fast with a good wind behind. A Ram 2500 diesel is hooked up and trying two pull him out with both trucks spinning all four wheels and no soap. Tide was up to his mid door and the surf is breaking over the truck but they kept on trying . Finally here comes a mini excavator to the rescue, hooks up to the Ford rear hitch and lifts his back end up out of the water and holes dug in by the spinning duely's and set him down on new beach off to the side. Now the ram which was still hooked up by a long tow rope hits the throttle and they finally gain some ground. The mini excavator had to lift him a second time before they managed to get him clear. I though for sure that new 80 K $ truck was committed to the deep six but their persistence paid off. Man when the breakers started covering the whole truck I think I would have abandoned ship but the driver stayed with it. It was a wonder the engine didn't quit ! Hope he got to a good car wash pronto quick to get the salt water and sand out of and off his truck. It was a squeaker by any measure.I had to stop and thank the guy in the Ram that didn't even know the person who was in trouble and stuck with him in his time of trial. It was the tracked mini excavator that really saved the day though as the Ram could not do it alone. Pretty intense deal there for about half an hour.
Glen Ring

Re: dip netting the Keni

Post by Glen Ring »

Very cool experience .
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, stuff like that kind of restores your faith in good folks still out there in our midst.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Most people are good people...it just takes one idiot to make an entire group look bad.
I hope everyone in the area shook those men's hands and thanked them for being good to each other.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Great to hear stories like this! The driver of that F-450 was sure lucky that there were others in that part of the river!
Out bass fishing in super-expensive Skeeters, Rangers, etc., when a fellow-fisherman gets high-centered on an underwater sand hill at high speed, he’s sure enuf hard-stuck. When this happens every other boater/fisherman comes to the rescue to dig, then pull him out. It’s a real team play. What you do will come back on you, whatever it may be.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
longshot10x

Post by longshot10x »

Do you have any video???
Well boys lets go do something even if it is wrong!
longshot10x

Post by longshot10x »

Do you have any video???
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

How to … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmJWrgYuZcg

Sugar sand beaches use 10- 15 lbs pressure
Regards
John
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

No, I didn't have my camera or phone with me . Wish I had thought to take it as it was pretty intense and would have been neat to have and share. Boy , I was sure the truck was a goner when the breakers started going over the top! Very cool to see it start moving back and out of the surf.
I don't know what effect the salt water will have on it long term but it could not have been good for the wiring or interior of the body where it surely penetrated. A car wash would help but it's not going to get it all I would think.
longshot10x

Post by longshot10x »

Mike, Thanks for the reply. That's what I was wondering. It seems to happen every year. Mike G.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Mike, when we went fishing I saw the clear cut above Cooper Landing up on the side of the mountain. Is that for the new highway?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We all like knives...but as a real outdoors man, what knife would you recommend?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I've had two or three but have finally settled on this Buck as the best fish and game knife I have ever had. I've lived here in AK for 50 years this last July 21st and have hunted and fished every single year so have had quite a bit of experience butchering game.
I like about a 3-3.5 inch drop point blade with a synthetic checkered handle that doesn't slip in your grip with blood , fat of fish slime all over it. I also like the handle to be as big or a bit bigger than the blade with a bit of cant/arch angle.
This blade just went through 66 salmon guttings on the beach also cutting some fins and was still sharp at the finish. It generally goes through a caribou or black bear most years and stays sharp all the way through. Buck steel is harder than Chinese Arithmetic but once you have a good edge it stays sharp and is easy to lick up.
Sure sign of a Chichocko ( Alaskan for rookie) is a Bowie knife strapped to their belt long as a maidens arm, which is virtually useless to break down game animals or for skinning and a mad bear will not be impressed with it either. :lol:
This is about my tenth season with this blade and it's as good as the day I brought it home. I sharpen my game blades with a Lansky shapener.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Good information to have from a person that works his knives!!
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Which Lanski Mike? Or do you have say the stone kit for home and a V sharpener for the bush?
In an ad for them here they say, German work tools , then down the bottom. Made in China :?