Tumbling with SS pins

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Tumbling with SS pins

Post by kwilliams »

Just ran a batch of .45 2 7/8" cases using my standard water, dawn and lemi shine and the results are dark patina cases. Have seen the trend coming in the last few batches. Yes the pockets and insides are clean, but what's with the "new color". Are the pins getting dull on the ends, they look ok, is there something I can add to the mix for the next cleaning? Don't need glimmering shiny cases by running longer than 1 hr. My low rpm tumbler does not peen the case mouths at 45 mins to 1 hr. Wondering if some oxyclean, baking soda, would help?
kw
rgchristensen

Re: Tumbling with SS pins

Post by rgchristensen »

KW:
Lemi-Shine is essentially citric acid. You ARE using fresh tumbling solution each time? Might help to tumble for a short time in plain water, rinse, then add the soap and acid. The drab color comes from the copper in the cases reacting with sulfides from the powder fouling

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

KW:
Lemi-Shine is essentially citric acid. You ARE using fresh tumbling solution each time? Might help to tumble for a short time in plain water, rinse, then add the soap and acid. The drab color comes from the copper in the cases reacting with sulfides from the powder fouling

CHRIS
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Im with Chris too...

do you pre-rinse?? If not I have found that with the acid in the BP and what I put in was too much. so I pre-rinse with just plain h20, drain, re-fill and add the acid to clean and make shiny.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Chris, Matt
Yes I pre rinse first, usually in a jug, then deprime. Maybe need to tumble in water before the 2nd go, these -110's carry a lot of residue, and the cleaning water mix sure comes out dirty. Occurred to me today that the last two batches that came out this way where with OE 1f, previous runs where with Swiss 1 1/2 and they came out much better.
Thanks for the tip.
kw
TAA

Post by TAA »

Do people pins only or ceramic only or some of each in the same batch?

Tom
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Dawn is basic; Lemishine is acidic. It's there acidity that makes shiny cases. I think you're probably using too much Dawn. I had the same problem, and ultimately went back to ceramic with the polishing liquid that comes with the kit.

Clarence
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

"...the acidity..."
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Interesting thought on using too much dawn. I know it's a grease remover, my cases are for PP and no grease is involved. Do know its takes me awhile to remove all the suds and foam. I will reduce the detergent amount.
thanks
kw
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I add lemon juice to my solution, if you add too much it will give you a brownish look. You may need less lemi-shine.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Coltsmoke wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 pm I add lemon juice to my solution, if you add too much it will give you a brownish look. You may need less lemi-shine.
Was only able to find Lemishine in the pre-measured packets (one per dishwasher load) most recently. I find that filling the Thumbler tumbler less than ~3/4 full of water with a packet results in the 'tarnished' look. Personally, I don't care what the cases look like as long as they are clean.
Glenn
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

I tried oxyclean in with some dawn for tumbling with ceramic media in order to get that shine.
Brass came out well, but, the tumbling barrel was bulging probably due to the production of gaseous Peroxides.
Now I have found that dairy supply- Milkstone remover from the local Fleet Farm works well as an adjunct to the Dawn.
It is basically phosphoric acid. Brass comes out bright and clean after about 1.5 hours
beltfed/arnie
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

If my brass is not bright and shiny after tumbling to clean I pour out the dirty water and add clean water with about half teaspoon of lemishine. I then tumble for 1/2 hr more and it come out bright.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Yes! my last tumbling run had the Lortone drum bulging also from the gas build up. So the new thoughts offered up here will be used on the next go around.
thanks all
kw
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

I've never used an acid solution for cleaning cases. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. This is my method and it works for me.
1) Wash cases in hot (tap) water and a dab of dish soap.
2) Rinse in hot water and dry in the oven on low heat, about 200 F.
3) Deprime.
4) Into the vibrating tumbler with walnut media and leave for about an hour.
5) Load cleaned cases.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787