A Nice Day at the Range

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mikec

A Nice Day at the Range

Post by mikec »

Last Saturday was a typical summer day in the sunny south, hot and muggy. A friend and I gathered up some 1911s we had recently purchased and, just for fun, the nice case the Shiloh Sharps sent containing my No. 1 Sporter in went along, too. The range near my home is fairly small and the owner (nice guy!) really takes care of it. He’s hired very competent range officers who are there to help.

After running about 100 rounds of .45ACP at the pistol range, I stopped by the car to put the Colts away and grab the Sharps. The range officers at the rifle stations knew I was coming but I had to wait a little while for a station to open up. The firing line was populated by 5.56mm shooters but, down at the very end, one gentleman had a WWII Mosin and it’s “voice of authority” prompted the range officer I was speaking with to say, “The hand of god!” A few minutes later, my station opened and I got the Sharps out and set the target. While I was down range, several of the other shooters were looking at the .45-90 and, when I got back, they were really asking questions. Naturally, they wanted to know what the ammo looked like and I showed them a round. I saw heads shaking and heard, “Man!” and “I ain’t beleavin’ that!”

One of the range officers asked if I’d fired the Sharps and I hadn’t. He volunteered to bore sight it for me and, since he’s a superb marksman, I thanked him. He told me to aim for the bottom of the target’s green triangle. Using the semi-buckhorn sight’s lowest position and the MVA #113 windage front sight, I fired the first round. The range officer said, “One inch low, windage spot on.” The next two shots were dead center.

Now, I noticed the firing line had become almost quiet when I was firing. That was because all but one shooter was standing behind me! When I saw them, I said, “Alright, who’s next? Yeah, sit down here and take a shot.” Reluctantly the first young gentleman said, “Really?” as he approached. I showed him how to load, use the set trigger and properly eject the spent cartridge. Honestly, he treated that rifle with visible respect bordering on reverence! That scene was repeated several more times and even the range officers took a turn. They never do that! As I was walking back to the car, several of the shooters thanked me and I heard several, Thank you, sirs but I didn’t have the heart to tell them I’d only made buck sergeant a half-century ago.

All in all, it was a good day at the range.

Mike

Woody

Re: A Nice Day at the Range

Post by Woody »

Nothing like a "nice" day at the range to set the tone for the rest of the day. I had a "nice" day on the river. Didn't catch a single fish, but they were there. Waiting for the proper presentation.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Nothing like a "nice" day at the range to set the tone for the rest of the day. I had a "nice" day on the river. Didn't catch a single fish, but they were there. Waiting for the proper presentation.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Your generosity and enthusiasm probably brought a couple more folks into this grand sport and generated some more gun sales for Shiloh! Nice going Ladd! :lol: