38-55 Recommendation

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bucksnort

Re: 38-55 Recommendation

Post by bucksnort »

What is the twist rate on a Shiloh .38-55? Would this be the standard length case, or the 2.125" case? Thanks.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Man ,I would think of weight savings in some other area before settling on a plastic butt plate,yuk (personal opinion) ! Also, carrying a nine pound rifle all day while hunting on foot will become tiresome especially if in hilly or mountainous terrain, believe you me. Your knuckles will be dragging the ground by evening if you put on some miles. :lol:
I have a close shooting friend that has a Shiloh 74 in 30-30 and I think the barrel is 26 inch round if memory serves and it feels like about 8 lbs although I have not asked him it's true weight. A neat little package if you like 74's.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Mike,I was not aware that Shiloh ever made a 30-30. They do make a 30-40 Krag though.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, that surprised me as well but I knew it was a Shiloh from the fit and finish. I'll talk to Pat next match and ask him when it was made. Might have been from pre-Big Timber days.
Michael Johnson

You sure it wasn't a C. Sharps. They made a lot of odd chamberings.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I just called Pat, Mike and he said it was a Big Timber Shiloh in 30-30, half round , 24 inch barrel and weighs about 9 lbs instead of the 8 lbs I was guessing. Their records showed it was made in 81 or 82 as best as they could tell.
I'm surprised at the weight with that short of a barrel.
I'll try and get a picture of it if I can.
Michael Johnson

Thanks for the clarification Mike! Never would have guessed that Shiloh made a rifle in 30-30. It certainly would have had some appeal in Wisconsin where I first shot deer with my in-laws. 30-30's were very common in Marlin lever guns.I showed up with a 30.06 Ruger No. 1 RSI. Short barrel, full Mannlicher stock. That was my first love affair with a falling block action circa 1984.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

A couple of my friend have been shooting 32-40's of late for our bang and clang matches but I think probably the good ole 30-30 with 170 grain 291 bullets will get the job done every bit as reliably. The ole thutty thutty really don't have any flies on it as a single shot cartridge and when opened up to .35 cal would be quite the cartridge for this game me thinks.