MVA Scope Length

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Pink Panther

MVA Scope Length

Post by Pink Panther »

MVA scopes come in various lengths from 23” to 34” I believe. What is the advantage with the longer length?

Also, if you order a sharps rifle pre drill and tapped do you need to know the length of the scope you plan to purchase before hand?

Thanks
Dennis Armistead

Re: MVA Scope Length

Post by Dennis Armistead »

The long dove tail mounted scopes are more period correct. The longer scopes use 17" c-c mounting blocks and the short scope "A" model can use 17" 0r 7.2" c-c for long range. Remember that the farther you shoot, you have to raise the rear of the scope up. So, if shooting say 1,000 yds. with a full length scope your face will be up off the stock of the rifle. There is no advantage to a long scope over a short one. They do look cool though. Also full length scopes need to be handled with care so the tubes don't get bent.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

You definitely need to decide on a length before drilling and tapping as the 23" scope has the bases mounted closer together.

I have a shoot with both the 23" and the 28" scopes. The 23" scope, because the bases are closer together, uses 0.003" movement per MOA which kind of requires that you can do math quickly sometimes :-). The optional "MOA" adjustment knobs can help, but they have other disadvantages. The big advantage with the 23" scope will require less elevation for long range so your face is a bit closer to the stock.

The 28" is nice because you get 0.005" per MOA which makes quick arithmetic easier to do.

FYI, on my 34" Long Range Express I have the 28" scope with Creedmoor mounts. For a 1000 yard setting interestingly, the height of the center of the eye piece is almost exactly the same as it is with an MVA Long Range soule sight. Both are high enough that I use a cheek riser anyway, and the contact between my face and the stock isn't very much.

Chris.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

don't get the one that mounts in the front barrel dovetail it takes almost twice as many lines to get the same elevation causing you to run out of adjustment at about 600yds art