Bullet Mould Advice

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bryany

Re: Bullet Mould Advice

Post by bryany »

You have time to find a Lyman Postel mold or similar and alloy. Casting match bullets is something of an art and has a learning curve. An inexpensive commercially available mold would be a good tool to learn on before you start using a custom mold.

On your once fired brass, you should measure the length of all of them to ensure you don't have any of the short levergun brass in the pile.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have the Brooks Creedmoor with reduced first band, shoots quite well in 45-70 out to 600 yards. Have not tried it beyond that.

The last mould I bought from Steve I had to send the mould and RCBS handles for him to fit mould to handles.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

All I had to do to make them work DD was drill two new holes in the handle prongs, it took maybe five minutes. Use the mold screw holes to spot where the new holes go in the handle prongs, remove and drill them out. Now you have handles that will work for most any mold.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, well, well, Mike Deland, looks like you encountered basically the same problem.
Yes, your do it yourself home style remedy is simple and effective. Yep, could have done that also.
But not everyone seeing a problem views the solution from the same perspective.
However, Steve Brooks is an accomplished craftsman that makes great moulds and knives as well.
All the fixing myself and or explaining the problem to him would have fallen far short of him seeing and understanding it himself in the event he concluded that he needed to adjust his finished product.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I made my drop tube out of an old Easton XX75 aluminum arrow
Real gun powder is black.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I just mentioned it so you wouldn't have to go through the shipping and waiting for the next set of handles you may acquire. I pick them up at gun shows pretty sheep and as I have so many molds it saves not having to always change handles.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Uhhh, Michael....simply mentioning that you procure handles for moulds you already have that do not have handles suggests that you may have an obsessive compulsive disorder concerning the acquisition of bullet moulds.

This is one of those Pandora Box subjects that doesn't even qualify for confession on Fridays mainly because it is not yet classified as a sin, venial or otherwise. So, let's keep it that way. :wink:
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

The reason for the 36" drop tube is that I had that length of brass tube on hand and only needed to solder a small brass funnel on. Just couldn't come to cut it for no reason. Built a teak stand for it from an old lawn chair that was scavenged.

Glenn
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I made mine from anodized 1/2 inch seamless aluminum tubing with a single adapter fixed to the base that will accommodate 38-40 and 45 caliber case mouths. The funnel is turned from solid aluminum and is a slip fit. It's 36 inches long.
This has turned out to be one of the better ideas I have had for BPCR equipment.
The anodizing knocks down the static it will carry and stops corrosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.