Shooting sticks

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

Shooting sticks

Post by Graybeard »

We’re to get good shooting sticks. I have watched some gentleman on YouTube with some nice sticks but the person that makes them has passed. Any other maker’s out there. Thanks
WVsmoke

Re: Shooting sticks

Post by WVsmoke »

Graybeard,
I do not know what sticks you were looking at, but there is a gentleman in Ashland. Ky. That makes a nice adjustable set of shooting sticks. I bought a set and have used them this season and I like them. Sycamore Stations dot com is the web address. Good Shooting…
Allan
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

DEPENDS, on what you plan to use them for and where.
Run of the mill generic sticks mostly are OK for silhouette, PRONE, where the soil is not hard packed.
If you plan to shoot Target and especially Position you will need some long stable sticks for the sitting position, same for the Q I have heard.
If you plan or need to shoot from the bench you will probably need to look at BENCH STICKS.
If you shoot out west where it is necessary to DRIVE the sticks into the rock hard soil with a stout hammer you may have to make them yourself on a proven design so just go ahead and make two just in case the ground turns out to bae harder than your sticks.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Ever think of just making them yourself? They are really pretty simple and you can make them easily with simple hand tools.

George
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

cat1870 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 pm www.catshootingstcks.com
Highly recommended.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

http://catshootingsticks.com/

The “i” was missing
Real gun powder is black.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

cat1870 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:25 pm www.catshootingsticks.com
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Graybeard wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:14 pm We’re to get good shooting sticks. I have watched some gentleman on YouTube with some nice sticks but the person that makes them has passed. Any other maker’s out there. Thanks
The sticks you’re referring to were made by a gent who went by “Wind” on a couple of forums, and his YouTube videos under Sagebrush Longshots. Sadly he went on to his reward, he was a kind gentleman and always willing to help, especially with the antique Marlin Lever Guns. I have a set of sticks from Cat’s Shooting Sticks, and I have been pleased with them. I may try and make a facsimile of Wind’s sticks for more portability though.

Dave
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Here is my design of shooting STIX and bench STIX.
Details: I route the edges upon which the rifle will rest: Less possible torque on the barrel.
Use Wool felt that will not impede recoil.
Spikes are alum angle for two way stability
beltfed/arnie
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all great info. I’ll check out the websites. Thanks
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm not sure this is legal for our cross stick use but I saw a good set up that would be easy to make and avoids having to drive your cross stick points into hard or rocky dirt. It is simply a 2x4 with a row of hole in it about an inch apart its full length. The 2x4 can be used as is or you can drive heavy spikes through it to anchor it to the ground. Your cross stick have the normal spikes in the end that go into the row of pre-drilled holes in the length of the 2x4 orientated parallel to the target. The sticks can be raised up or down by widening the base stance in the row of holes. It worked pretty slick for the guy I saw using it.
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

There is a black powder shooter who made a set of the sticks that Wind used. He's on YouTube and if you search for Buffalo Bear BP you'll find his videos. I made a set. They were easy to make and work well.
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

There is a black powder shooter who made a set of the sticks that Wind used. He's on YouTube and if you search for Buffalo Bear BP you'll find his videos. I made a set. They were easy to make and work well.
dougf

Post by dougf »

Thanks for your youtube suggestion. I was able to find the video, ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ih-E8xlJk0 ) but it took a little work. The search for his video requires that you remove the spaces and search for BuffaloBearBP . I bought a set of Wind's sticks at Quigley 4 or 5 years ago. They work great for me but it took some practice to use them like he did (off the forearm instead of off the barrel) I was wondering why I haven't seen him Quigley recently. Sorry to hear he passed. He was a nice man.