New rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: New rifle

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, it's hard to beat the good ole 45-70 for most anything especially if you which to use smokeless, substitutes or duplex loads along with black only.
The 45-90 is probably the best all around case if you choose to load only black powder. The longer cases are fine but don't make much sense for anything other than black only loads. I find most folks seem to use up the extra space with several wads and grease cookies to lube the additional fouling for no huge gain in velocity.
You might gain an additional 150-175 fps with a 500 + grain bullet in a 2.6 as opposed to a 2.1 using black only but have to use perhaps another 30-35 grains of powder to do it.
I have one friend that gets 84 grains of Black into a 2.1 case but I don't know how it is possible as my 74 grain load of 1.5 Swiss is a compressed load an not much of the bullet is still in the case.
He may stage compress for all I know , I need to ask him about that.
In the end get what turns your crank and have fun with it.
You might want to take a look at the very good 44-77 case.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

There are a lot of people that frequent this forum only to glean some useful information that people often discuss here and they never make their presence known. Those followers read the OP first thread and come away with the perception that a 45-70 shouldn’t be considered to be used as a hunting rifle, which is nothing more than an inherently flawed theory at best. Then his conclusion of a cartridge to use is none other than a 45-110, not opting for the 45-120 because of his opinion of it pounding him in the ground. I see 2 problems that then arise from those statements. Is the trajectory of the 45-110 so much better than that of the 45-70 that the latter pales in comparison? It’s such a generic statement that would need a lot of clarification to a novice that would be reading such a thread. Is the recoil from the 45-110 compared to that of the 45-120 so much lighter that its the cats meow? I know that the 10 more grains is a real killer. Again, someone reading this who doesn’t know, would come away with the assumptions that the 45-110 is a lot flatter shooting than the 45-70 and a lot more recoil friendly than the 45-120. This is believable because of the OP long line of shooting credentials he states that he has, so one comes away with the impression that this guy knows his stuff about shooting and reloading, and he probably does to some extent. The problem is those who are not in the know come away with some notions that are just plain false, which forms a biased opinion about those subjects. In other words, misinformation.
For 30 years, I only shot smokeless high power rifles. I too had a somewhat misconception of the 45-70 cartridge. I thought it was big, fat, slow, and had too much drop for anything useful. I was so wrong. Since I started loading black powder I haven’t loaded a smokeless rifle round in years, probably 10 or 11. I have also acquired over the years 8 single shots in 45-70 along with other 45 calibers.
I also had a big misconception that shooting black powder was a hassle, a mess, too much cleanup. I was wrong again. When I get home from a weekend of shooting black powder cartridge matches, I clean my rifle from top to bottom. I would clean my high power rifle also if returned from shooting at a smokeless match. The notion that trying to shoot block powder is a “fight” is also misinformation. That’s what comes across as you read this thread. My point is there are a lot of knowledgeable shooters and reloaders out there that have some misconceptions about shooting a BPCR. I was one of them and I do not like it when those are projected on a forum like this. I seriously doubt I cost the Bryan family a rifle sale of $4,000. With all the so called obstacles to try to overcome I’m sure the OP would have given up.

And I don’t wear panties, I wear boxers.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
bobw

Post by bobw »

Why does everyone think it's necessary to apologize for saying what they think. The op sure didn 't. If a person doesn 't agree with your asked for opinion why be sorry for it? He kinda sounded like he'd be better off with an Uberti and cowboy action ammo anyway wtf? Lol
bobw
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

"Why does everyone think it's necessary to apologize for saying what they think. The op sure didn 't. If a person doesn 't agree with your asked for opinion why be sorry for it?...."
--BobW

BINGO!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Luke

Post by Luke »

I think what I should have said (With less snark, I admit) is simply get this book: https://www.buffaloarms.com/black-powde ... bpcrp.html

While you won't be interested in most of it, in the back are extensive ballistic tables for almost all Sharps cartridges. Find the ballistic profile you like, determine what cartridge delivers it, then build your rifle from there. If nothing there suits you, then you're only out the cost of the book.
Limber Up!