New rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: New rifle

Post by Woody »

I'll add this too. My next Shiloh, (currently in production), is a Montana Roughrider with a 30 inch barrel in 45-70. That will make 5 rifles chambered in 45-70.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

O.P. Doesn’t want to fo his due diligence ,he wants you to determine his needs based on his very limited non experience with a BPCR rifle or reloading for one. He wants to convince us what he is doing or planning is on par with what is really required. Tough road to be not open to what really works in these rifles. Get a smokeless cartridge BH209 is like the O.P.said “it’s not B/P or smokeless so it doesn’t do either exceptionally well unlike real B/P or smokeless for that matter.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Take it easy. Like so many, he wants to hear that he already knows what to do. Preconceptions are hard to break.
Limber Up!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

On the old Hawken style rifle, I would pull the barrel and put it in the bathtub of hot soapy water. Lol. With the newer style, that has removable breech plugs, I clean from the breech. With Black Horn 209, you never have to wipe between shots, and there is no crud ring. As ML season is only 2 weeks, unless I get in the rain, I just clean after the season. BH209 is mildly corrosive, but you are good for 2 weeks, unless you have rain or heavy moisture. We just pull the primer and leave the load, until the next hunt.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Randy, for your info, the BH209 through my ML, produces sub 1" groups at 100 yds. I consider that pretty good. Maybe you can advise me how to do better.
bryany

Post by bryany »

poser, nothing to see here
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Ok Luke, I asked for some help selecting rifle options. I hurt someone's feelings because I am not overly impressed with the 45-70. I have one, and a 444 Marlin. I wanted something different. It appears this forum is chocker block full of range shooters, that think anything other than black powder is foolish. I get that. I have shot long range High Power and Across the Course with the M1, M14, 03, AR and bolt guns. All with aperture sights. So what. Big deal. I just wanted some pointers at selecting a rifle options, and except for 1 man who welcomed me, I have had to listen to a bunch of opinionated people who are not content because I do not choose to recognize their way as the only way. In fact, yall have pretty much just turned me off to the Sharps idea, and formed an opinion with me of the type of know it all people you are. Rather than receive a new participant with open arms and help, you ridicule and put me down, and cheer each other on, like a bunch of kids in the park, when a new kid moves in. If that is what it takes to make you feel good, ok. Fine, but I just view you as childish. I will not take up anymore of your time, and will rethink dropping 4 grand on a new Shiloh rifle.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Another shooter chased off cause he didn't ask the the questions properly.

I didn't see where he closed his mind to anything.
Chickm1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:41 pm And, I may end up loading black powder, but I am not going to stick my head in the sand to all other aspects of shooting and loading,
Hope you stick with the idea of getting a Sharps Chickm1. These buffalo rifles are hard to beat for pure fun !!! regardless of what type powder you put in them.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I think you should get what you want and load the way you want. Probably the best way to learn.
Limber Up!
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

get a hartford model in 45/70 you will be happy traditional buffalo rifle and if not enough horse power you can ream to 45/90 way more than enough gun good luck art ruggiero
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

I went back and re read the OP's first post. His interest is a hunting rifle. So here goes, either a #3 or Montana rough rider. That will decide whether or not he wants a pistol grip. Then go with a shotgun butt with the steel butt plate to help with recoil. Now to the barrel I think a standard weight either full oct. or half round, which ever looks best to him. The half round will be the lightest for hunting. Now the caliber. This has sparked a huge debate. If the OP wants to use regular powder Shiloh recommends getting a caliber that is factory loaded. This limits this to primarily 45-70 that can be loaded pretty hot where it will rattle your teeth. The Shiloh action will handle it. If he wants to use Black powder or black powder substitute the go with the 45-110 aka 45 2.7/8's. Order the rifle and start the search for Norma 45 2.9 brass. Then get some books and learn the best way to load for black powder. He will have the time to do this. The extra's such as wood and other options is a personal choice between him and his finance manager. One thing regarding the 45-120 aka 45 3 1/4 everything I've read is it was not a standard Sharps loading. It apparently came about after the Sharps company closed it's doors. If he decides to go with it then he should be prepared to use it as it was intended. That is full BP loads pushing a lead bullet to the limits of this cartridge.
If he is unsure if he would want to keep his creation then get the 45-70 as re sale value is very good.

Good luck,
Dan
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

how bout a 40-65?? perfect for hunting, great out to 800yd target, perfect for steel shooting. you said you have 45-70 brass, just buy the dies and make make them. If you want to run smokless 5744 should fill that nicely. Heck even a 40-82 would be good...just take 45-90 and neck it down. you can get brass from starline pretty easy.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

Black Horn 209 works very well in the 45-70. works so well its very hard to find. :shock:
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Your all too late with your limited kindness…all of you! And you guys bitch because we can’t get new people interested. WONDER WHY……..
Tom Klinger
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

P.S.
Sounds like your overwhelming kindness also cost our friends at Shiloh a customer!…….good job!
Tom Klinger