New rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chickm1

Re: New rifle

Post by Chickm1 »

I have to wonder what is dumb about seeking information on anything.
Last edited by Chickm1 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

hipshot1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 has to kick like a mule. You must mean volume.
Yes, you are correct. It is 100 grs by volume. I don't know what 100 grs by weight would kick like, and not interested in finding out. I know 150 gr of 777 is not pleasant.
Bob Smith

Post by Bob Smith »

It might be that you are on a Black Powder Cartridge forum. We gave up the easy guns and are very fond of our black powder and the rifles that shoot it. Maybe call Shilo and the different models and configurations will be explained better. Or just have one built in 458 Winchester mag and really flatten out your sling shot. Bob
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

And, I may end up loading black powder, but I am not going to stick my head in the sand to all other aspects of shooting and loading, That would be pretty stupid, considering I have participated in (and even coached for 9 years) in every long gun sport out there, beginning in 1967. Do people on this forum think that anything but black powder is dumb? In muzzleloading, I did not care for all the wiping between shots, worry of corrosion, and the smell of sulphur that clung to me, until I could climb in the shower. At the same time, I have black powder for my percussion MLs. and I do not think others are dumb for using it. I found that the use of BP substitutes made the sport more enjoyable to me. Its kind like politics. If a Democrat doesn't like something, they will try to outlaw it and ostracize those who do it, while a Republican doesn't bat an eye at what others do, as long as it doesn't infringe upon them, or the others try to force their will upon them.

By the way, I did not see anything stating this was a black powder cartridge forum. All I saw was Shiloh Rifle Forums. Yeah, I know they were designed for black powder. I even have some original paper patched Sharps cartridges. But, they are just for display.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

As others have said, if you plan on using smokeless I would stick to the .45-70 or if you want a different caliber the .405 Winchester is a unique choice.
Real gun powder is black.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I did not plan to use smokeless. First, I wanted to look into Black Horn 209. If that did not pan out, I would probably go with BP. What size BP do most use?
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

1.5f Swiss seems to be very popular…
Tom
Luke

Post by Luke »

Nothing of what you have done before translates to these rifles and their cartridges.

Determine what you want to do with this rifle. Sounds like hunting and plinking.

Determine what cartridge you want to use. There is a problem here, as it sounds like you do not want to deal with the ballistic limitations of these cartridges. This may not be your intent, but that is how it sounds.

Only when the cartridge is determined can the details be filled in. Most of the cranks on here use black .because they have found that is what works best. As for cleaning, again, you ML experience does not translate.

You need to come at this from a different angle I speculate.
Limber Up!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I came here seeking specific info on a rifle. What angle would you suggest?
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Most of the notable ML shooters, who are purists and good at it, use Swiss. 1,5f kinda surprises me, as I have never loaded black powder metallic. I would have thought 2F would have been the ticket.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Duplicate.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

" As for cleaning, again, you ML experience does not translate."

Are you telling me that you do not have to wipe the barrel and clean like you do with ML?
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

" As for cleaning, again, you ML experience does not translate."

Are you telling me that you do not have to wipe the barrel and clean like you do with ML?
Luke

Post by Luke »

For your stated purpose I would go with a Montana Rough Rider, 30" standard weight, 45-70.

Cleaning for me after a typical range session is 2 tap water patches, a dry patch and an oil patch. Takes under 5 minutes. All patches are single pass from the breech
A few drops dribbled on the block and done. Now and then drop the block and wipe with an oily rag. Cases are deprimed, dropped in soapy water, rinsed, air dried and walnut media tumbled.
Limber Up!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Luke is correct. The reason that cartridge is so easy to clean, is that you push the gunk out instead of smearing it back and forth as in a ML. Additionally not all use 1.5 Swiss, but the majority do. I for one, am a 2 FG Swiss user. Try them both. Some even use 3 FG Swiss. Your rifle and loading technique will tell you what is working for you.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.