73 Springfield

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chickm1

73 Springfield

Post by Chickm1 »

I have a 73 Trap Door in need of a front sight blade. I read somewhere, that it was common to see a copper penny used for a blade. Is this so? If I cut one from a penny, how high above the sight frame should the blade extend?

Thanks
Tomklinger

Re: 73 Springfield

Post by Tomklinger »

Woody or John Bly may chime in. They are both very knowledgeable on trapdoors..
Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

The 73 front sights are easily replaced, but they never had a copper or anything other than a blued steel blade. The height of the replaced bade will depend on if you have a rifle or carbine and the weight of bullet you plan on shooting. If your trapdoor is not in it's original configuration, then do whatever you want. If you want the the sight settings to correlate to your ammo, then make a replacement blade that is way too tall to start with. File to fit your ammo for height. I shoot 500 plus grain bullets in both my carbine and rifle. My Model 1884 rifle front sight is .780 above the centerline of the bore or .275 in above the the top edge of the barrel. My Model 1884 carbine front sight is .840 above the centerline of the bore or .340 above the top edge of the barrel. You can make a front sight yourself or original blades are still available from various sources.

Hope this helps.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Check out "trapdoorcollector.com
beltfed/arnie
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Thanks
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I got an original blade and pin coming my way.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Have you ever slugged the bore on your 1873? If you have not, it is a good idea to do as Trapdoors are famous (or is that "notorious"??) for having oversized bores.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Steve Brooks of Brooks Moulds makes an excellent 0.460 diameter Government mould for that Trapdoor. Both of mine (an 1873 and an 1884) like it a lot.- Mike, Welcome to the club of unruly gentleman. Feel free to private message me. I learned to reload for BPCRs and now reload for everything.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Ok, now I understand the PM. I never thought about slugging the barrel. I have a gunsmith that loves to see me show up with a new project. He is busy building F Class rifles but always finds time for me. He is 84 and bounces around like he is 50. He still competes, and shot a possible on the 600 yd line, in F Class. I like that guy!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

What front sight width are you using on the rifle Woody?
I'm really having a ball with mine that I re-barreled. I should have had one years ago!
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm in Friendship for the weekend. Both my current trapdoors have their original thin blades, but I can't measure them until I get home.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I was having trouble seeing the front sight on mine at .050 thick and made of steel against our steel Bang and Clang targets so made a new one of brass with a forward leaning angle that picks up light nicely. I made it .100 wide and offset it to the right by the additional .050 added to it's width. Using a 6 o'clock hold it works very well out to 200 yards our match max range is.
The offset was so I could get that much windage up front and keep the rear Buffington at zero. The off set still makes the front blade look centered to the barrel. I find the added width to give a good definition against target bull or steel and really helps hold elevation as well as windage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.