Speaking of new rifles and a good day.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: Speaking of new rifles and a good day.

Post by Woody »

MC One Shot,

I like the MVA 28 inch 6 power with regular cross hair reticle and their Malcolm mounts. I'm left handed, so I use the Schuetsen (sp) with the windage pitch reversed, so they work exactly like my MVA iron Soule sights.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

Thanks for that information Woody. When my order comes in I'll probably go with that AA finish.
Thanks
MC One Shot

Post by MC One Shot »

Woody, Thank you for that. I have the 10x with the Silhouette mounts.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Got back to the range with this new rifle. Brought a test load the same as fired on Tuesday, except this was loaded into fireformed brass that was neck sized only. Things didn't go so well. The shooting conditions were about as good as it gets for all tests. This is the first target after firing two warming shots. I was pushing BACO bore wipers soaked in Mpro-7 Gun Cleaner, followed by a cotton patch dampened in the same solution.
DSC00671resized.JPG

Not so good. So I decided to repeat Tuesdays group using the same full length sized ammo had used. Those rounds repeated Tuesdays result with sub-MOA five shot group. Hmmm.

DSC00670 resized.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Finally I decided to test my wiping solution of Mpro-7 vs a 10% solution of Napa water soluble cutting oil. I was surprised how much difference it made. I ordered another gallon of Mpro-7 when I got home.

DSC00673resized.JPG

Woody
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

Hello Woody,

Using M-Pro-7 (c.f., 10% cutting oil and water) showed a tighter grouping with my 35 too, however, case stretching and splitting became a major problem. Going back to 10% cutting oil and water and it went away.

Geologist
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I believe case stretching and neck splitting may have more to do with a damp chamber than the MPro7. I have wiped with both MPro7 and 10% cutting oil and distilled water. I have never had problems with case stretching, neck separations, or splitting. This is with 45-70, 45-2.6, and 40-90BN. I currently use the BACO bore wipers. I chase the bore wiper with a dry patch over the end of the delrin rod jag. I dry my chamber with a bore mop. Just what works for me. I think if the MPro7 was a problem, I would see it with those big long 40-90BN cases.
Woody

Post by Woody »

This year is my first long term use of wiping. I've been a diehard blow tuber for 20 plus years, only wiping when laying in the heat of an uncovered firing line.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Mike Johnson is onto it! Been there, had that happen.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I too have been a blow tube user. The problem lies on trying to depend upon it in less than 30% humidity. It just does not work. I first used Rick Morrils bore brushes in a Bend, Oregon match ten years ago. Myself and a friend shared the use of my scoped 45-70. Use of the bore brush system using 10% cutting oil kept the fouling to a minimum for two shooters in a 40 shot BPCR match. The humidity was 18%. That trip convinced me. I hate all of the gadgets and would prefer to just use a blow tube. A blow tube works well in a humid environment but once the humidity goes below 30% you cannot blow enough moist air down that hot bore to make an appreciable difference. Now that I am shooting paper patch, that cleaner bore is even more important.