Black powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Black powder measure

Post by desert deuce »

Volume is the way I go and the MVA is just the right one for that pursuit.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Luke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:11 am Belding & Mull IMHO.
+1. Trickle with a pinch of powder between my thumb & forefinger.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Things will improve dramatically when you graduate from the spoons. :wink:
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Spoons???
Is that something new? I put a bullet in my hand and dump powder over it until it's covered. Spoons would be so much faster...
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

The B&IM measure always works really well, because if FORCES the user to operate it correctly. OTOH, I find it a PITA to use. Drum-type can give as good results if carefully operated. You can't be banging the handle around, etc. My measure of choice is an old Hollywood, and has stop-cushions installed to stop the rotation of the drum gently, without vibration. Tests with abut 40 charges 50 gr each, yielded a weight SD of about 0.12 - 0.15 gr. Good enough for me......

CHRIS
Luke

Post by Luke »

You guys are great.
Limber Up!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

How many are dropping charges without weighing every one? How critical is the variance with these measures, say plus or minus one-half grain, especially at long range? I also wonder how much variance a balance gives you when weighing each charge compared to the powder measures mentioned in this thread.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

All logical questions Mike Herth. Problem with an answer is within each situation resides an inherent variance frequently not common to another.

On my old Lyman 55 I bought in 1965 I may throw ten charges, six of which weigh the same and the other four are within one tenth of a grain plus or minus. However, for whatever reason, the eleventh weighs a full seven tenths of a grain off from the mean. While theoretically that should not make a difference at 1,000 yards in an 80 grain load there is a feature involved with this knowledge that may embed an impediment in the subconscious mind that falls from the cranial roof like a spider fleeing her web and creates doubt just as one is about to release a shot.

If, however, each drop from that Lyman 55 is weighed on a digital scale and proves to be within plus or minus one tenth of a grain "before" the charge is placed in the case that spider and web don't materialize and I can smoothly pull through each shot knowing the ammo is good to go before it ever leaves the loading room.

Then when you approach your 600 yard target and measure the 14 shot group and it is 1 & 1/2 inches high and 12 inches wide you reinforce in your conscious mind that your loading technique very likely contributed to what essentially is a sub 1/3 minute of elevation group.

Even better, when you hit the shot spotter four times in a row at 1,000 yards, you know you just shot a half minute of angle five shot group because the first shot is where the spotter was placed.

But of course this is all hard to sell to other shooters, especially those that have accepted as fact that these rifles will only hold two minutes of elevation at any particular distance between 200 and 1,000 yards.

So you see, any answer to your question would be relative to the result and then it becomes an individual set of many subsets combined and not applicable outside to that finite group.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Five days and no comment and on this forum no less. :D
Remarkable :wink:
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

[quote="desert deuce" post_id=331758 time=1633310306 user_id=14008]
Five days and no comment and on this forum no less. :D
Remarkable :wink:
[/quote]

mmmm. Now you wouldnt be "stirring the possum" now would you Zac ? :wink:

Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Who ? Me? :shock: Perish the thought!

Actually a bit of humor to see if anyone was paying attention. You know, put a lot of time and thought into 'broadly' answering a question so all possible questions are answered, and, crickets.

So then, cast a bit of bait out on the pond, and wah lah, reel in Gavin fish. :D
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

:lol: :lol: Not the first time I've risen to the bait a little too quickly... likely not the last either :shock: :wink:

Oh yes... and I've been more than happy with my MVA measure over the last ten years or so. Good piece of gear

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "