Black powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Black powder measure

Post by semtav »

What is the best powder measure out there to throw accurate loads. Would like to try loading by volume and seeing how it works.
Luke

Re: Black powder measure

Post by Luke »

Belding & Mull IMHO.
Limber Up!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Originals can be found online, MVA makes a modern version.
Limber Up!
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Agree - the B&M is the cat's meow!
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Is the one made by MVA as good as the older ones?
Luke

Post by Luke »

As good. Their micrometer catch measure is an upgrade, an can be used with the B&M.
Limber Up!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Fellas, there is absolutely no comparison. The Harrell's is the best by far, and I've tried them all. Not having on is a mistake.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/harrell-s-p ... sicbp.html
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The MVA is the one I'd choose over any other for BP use. It even meters Swiss Fg pretty well. I also have a Harrel's but I use it for 4227 in my .32-40's and .38-55's. It is also excellent with Swiss 1.5, but mine jams up with Fg.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Honestly, for perforating derelict appliances at moderate distances a non ferrous metal table spoon would do or the Lee dipper set. :wink:

Advancing out to more serious distance reloading hmmm. If I were to lay down cash today it would be for the MVA. And, order two Teco 120 grain tubes from Track of the Wolf instead of the micrometer tube. Have both and use the Teco Tube (thank you Bryan Youngberg) exclusively with my Belding & Mull measures.

For silhouette loading I use the Lyman 55 these days but do check weigh before dumping into the drop tube. Probably overkill for land fill shooting purposes. :roll:

The Lyman and B&M both work just fine with 1F, 2F, 1.5F, and 3F. Both require periodic cleaning and adjustment. How often seems to depend on how much dust is in the powder.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

MVA’s measure is great.

I have one with the extra long hopper, which works well for the large doses of FG dispensed for the 45-110. Yet it requires constant refills.

Though I more often use my RCBS Charge master, and weigh each charge. Consistent volume is of course desired, but even my Belding and Mull or the MVA will have some variations in powder height after drop tubing. 68 plus weighed charges are the norm with out a refill from the charge master. This again begs the question of consistency from can to can of that particular lot.

This is still a old trick I employ using a Rubbermaid pitcher, I blend 5 pounds of the same powder in this container by rolling it. After 2 or more pounds are used, I replace it and repeat the blending process.

This isn’t something new, I learned about it in a book, written in the 1870’s by a Scottish long range shooter. It has prove its worth over the years. :wink:

Weight of the powder yields a consistent amount of the components that make up that charges strength. Something else to consider :roll:

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Btw,

Cody’s method and mine are both outlined in my BPTR Book.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Been very pleased with my MVA for many years.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Personally, didn't like the MVA, to slow. I went back to the Lyman. I find it just as accurate but you do have to clean it and not use the smallest slide too much. After cleaning I coat the parts with case lube spray and let dry before assembly.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:00 am Honestly, for perforating derelict appliances at moderate distances a non ferrous metal table spoon would do or the Lee dipper set. :wink:
2 scoops with the Lee 167 Dipper gives minute of refrigerator. But once in a while I stray out in the real world.
semtav

Post by semtav »

My biggest problem was my RCBS scale so sticky and slow I was getting aggravated. only took a few minutes on the internet to figure out why though.

Still gonna try volume reloading at some point. I know that's all gunlaker uses. (I think)