Shiloh barrel markings

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chickm1

Shiloh barrel markings

Post by Chickm1 »

On the new Shiloh rifles, do they mark the barrels like the originals, with just 45, or do they stamp them with the modern designation like 45-70?
Dennis Armistead

Re: Shiloh barrel markings

Post by Dennis Armistead »

If the rifle is chambered for a 45-70 then it is stamped 45 2 1/10 and so on.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

The originals were just marked 45. I looked at a rifle made in 1877. The research letter stated it was 45-75 Sporting. The barrel just had 45 on it. Just wondering. Thanks.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Chickm1,

You didn’t look close enough often on the originals the chamber length was stamped on a different flat.

I went through this in a phone conversation with a friend a while back at a gun show, he finally found the chamber length on another flat. It actually had been rechambered. And was marked accordingly.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

If it was marked differently, it was very faint. I actually used a magnifying glass. But, if it was at a different spot, and stamped lightly I coul have missed it. I looked at the 45 stamping closely, and all around in that area trying to find what cartridge it was chambered for. I will be looking at the rifle again in the next few weeks, and will look for thosearls some more. Thanks!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Kenny is right. I looked at the rifle today, and almost missed it again. It was stamped VERY SMALL on a flat right beside the forearm wood. And, It was stamped upside down.

Thanks for helping me find it Kenny.