S&W Moving!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

S&W Moving!

Post by Ray Newman »

S&W leaving Massachusetts for Tennessee. Will also consolidate and move other locations to Tennessee.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/09/30/ ... tennessee/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Chickm1

Re: S&W Moving!

Post by Chickm1 »

Great!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Great!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Guess it is "Great" for those workers who can relocate.

I wonder how much of the skilled and trained workforce S&W will loose and can “afford to loose”. Think of the Remington-Marlin fiasco....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Maybe if they're out of Massachusetts they won't have to keep putting the "Hillary hole" in their revolvers anymore.....
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The rumor may be true that Marlin and Remington waited too long to relocate, hope that does not apply to Smith & Wesson. Certainly Ruger and others saw the handwriting on the wall. As for employees relocating, who would not rather live in Tennessee than Massachusetts? :shock:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Better yet Missouri , S. Dakota , Texas or Florida ! I found out just today that S&W had a frame model M and I, I had not heard of before.
sackett

Post by sackett »

I wouldn't want to move to TN. My family (and my wife's family) is in CT, zero no interest in leaving them. I prefer fall & winters in New England....not quite the same climate in TN. Summers are cooler in Mass over TN which is another bonus. Fresh seafood in MA, no so much in TN. Skipping the politics of some states, Southern New England is a beautiful area to live in.

Not so sure how it is so great moving . After working nearly 18 years with a different company, I was on the losing end of having that company also relocate out of state, and out of country. It isn't so great Mr Chickm1 to have to start from scratch again; on seniority, v-days and even on the salary, especially when you are pushing 50 and in the middle of a pandemic. What about those workers who are going to lose their jobs after 20, 30, 40 years with S&W because they aren't part of the "plan" to move south? Is it really that great? Answer is NO!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Sackett is onto something! I knew a few guys who were on the short end of the stick when it came to company relocations.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Corporations are unique entities unto themselves. They operate within a universe of restrictions and above all realities. However, when necessity clearly indicates a strategic move to ensure the survival of the corporation that decision becomes an invention of necessity. Given the choice of moving or bankruptcy the ownership will likely elect to move. What sense would it make for the Corporation to fail in place and all employees and the product to go by the wayside? There is a huge difference between preference and necissity.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Well there are "realities" and then there are "shareholders", and S&W has few of the former and plenty of the latter....the difference is that "shareholders" can demand things like "relocations" in order to protect their bottom lines...regardless of the impact on the skilled workforce that produces their products (witness the Remington takeover of Marlin).

Just sit back and take a look at the product coming down the pike from S&W in the next few years or so. It's going to be straight hot garbage. You think Taurus is bad?? This move was done to protect shareholder profits and there was no other reason....And while we'er at it, let's be honest....S&W has already been way sub-par for many years (decades) now (for the same reason too)...
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Sorry to see them move. Sad the political folks in charge in MA are not realistic about the business S&W is in. As far as their products, I'm an S&W fan and find that they, like Ruger, make excellent products (own an SP100 in 357 & MkII 678, as well as a stainless target 1911 in 45ACP & and an M&P Bodyguard). Mine are all very accurate & reliable. Am sure KTebbe is still enjoying the S&W 586 he got from me a few years back. Another excellent S&W.
Many complain about where I live, but like Sacket says about NE, we find living in southern NJ near the coast to be very relaxing. I'm a 20min drive (1 stop light) from my club & its 600yd range and I've never wanted a gun I could not purchase (though we do have a bunch of stupid gun & other laws). But, every day this week the wife & I have walked 2+ miles up to our ankles in the surf of the Atlantic Ocean. Water & air temp around 75F. Tough to beat.
As for S&W and, especially their employees, I wish them the best. Hope it works out as well for the machinists & techs as it does for the corporate officers, though I won't hold my breathe.
Glenn
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

" This move was done to protect shareholder profits and there was no other reason...."
--Johnny V

What you posted doesn't make sense to me. A company moves to protect shareholders, then produces garbage/substandard products, resulting in poor sales and lowered profits. How is that protecting the shareholders?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Seems to me Ruger has flourished since moving to Arizona. 8)
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

It protects your holders in the short term but the long-term results may be less than satisfactory. And when I talk about being subpar, that’s in comparison to the products they used to produce, not in comparison with other products on the market. Smith and Wesson is still one of the better revolver makers out there.