S&W Moving!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: S&W Moving!

Post by JonnyV »

They are a publicly traded company, and they’re moving to get themselves a cheaper labor force. It’s likely that their new labor force is going to be far less qualified than the one they have right now. It will take some amount of time for them to learn the skills and straighten out the problems that they’re likely to have in their initial start up.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:07 pm Seems to me Ruger has flourished since moving to Arizona. 8)
Ruger still has large operations in NE.

Is S&W buiiding a new facility in TN or did/are they purchasing an existing facility? Am guessing that the need to upgrade their old plants in NE had as much to do with the move as anything. Cost of land, etc., in TN being much lower than NE. As said, their parting shot at the MA politicians aside, it was likely 98% a business decision.
Glenn
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

Hackett; im in connecticut nice state bad politics art ruggiero
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The Connecticut X-pats I have talked to left because of the degenerative political situation, "all" of them.

Sort of contributes to the formation of a suspicion if not an opinion.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

They are in business to make a profit. They will do what it takes to stay in business. As stated earlier what good will come out of them staying there and going under.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:25 pm Corporations are unique entities unto themselves. They operate within a universe of restrictions and above all realities. However, when necessity clearly indicates a strategic move to ensure the survival of the corporation that decision becomes an invention of necessity. Given the choice of moving or bankruptcy the ownership will likely elect to move. What sense would it make for the Corporation to fail in place and all employees and the product to go by the wayside? There is a huge difference between preference and necissity.
Evidently some didn't actually read this after it was posted.
If you did & still don't understand the reason for the move there won't be much in life you'll understand.

I've been a small business owner for 21 years, when rules/regulations/laws become so onerous it's not possible to operate, I'll move my business in a heartbeat.

A few years back a company went to it's UNION employees & stated that if negotiations didn't change, here's what we can do, raises ARE NOT POSSIBLE, we will be financially forced to close the doors, & EVERYONE WILL LOOSE THEIR JOB, work with us so we can remain open & EVERYONE can keep their job. Union told them to pack sand, we ain't budging. They were forced to close, EVERYONE LOST THEIR JOB.

Stupid bastards
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I was a nine year journeyman glazier and my company sold out in the middle of the winter and I lost my very good job. I was forced to open my own business to stay afloat and let me tell you when you start paying quarterly business taxes, insurance ,workmans comp and social security tax your perspective on how business works (from an employee to owner) changes in a biggggggggggggggggggg hurry ! :lol:
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Smith & Wesson will keep some of its manufacturing operations in Springfield, MA., including all forging, machining, metal finishing and assembly of revolvers, and will continue to have over 1,000 employees in the state. While the headquarters and some production will relocate to TN, the plant in Missouri will close. The relocation will have no impact on the company’s operations in Houlton, ME as S&W goes from four locations to three.

As for anti-union BS posted above, it is totally wrong in the last sentence. Not everyone lost their job. The top folks in the company likely got bonuses and fat raises for off-shoring their production. Only folks who lost their jobs were the ones who actually did the work. You can rest assured the real winners in S&W's move will be the top folks at the company and not the employees.
Glenn
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Clayguy

Post by Clayguy »

Actually, I'm surprised that it took S&W so long to finally leave a leftist state that hates them because they manufacture firearms. I would also guess that TN may offer tax benefits that MA would never do.
df

Post by df »

I moved eight times in a 39 year career. The closest I’ve been to where most of my family resides, is 800 miles. We get along great and see each other several times per year. Seeing the country and living in different cultures across the USA is not for everyone, but we liked it. And financially it turned out very well for us.