Difference?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chickm1

Difference?

Post by Chickm1 »

What effect does using a finer grain BP have? Like if you use 2F instead of 1F? Fouling? Velocity? Etc?
MC One Shot

Re: Difference?

Post by MC One Shot »

Generally a finer grade of powder burns faster, increases velocity, as far as cleaner burning that is in my opinion dependent on the manufacture of the powders you are comparing, amount of powder, bullet weight, length of the barrel.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

How much velocity difference are talking about, in a 100 GR charge?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Chickm1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:53 pm How much velocity difference are talking about, in a 100 GR charge?
Depends on the powder.
I use 85gn of E, 2F in my .45-90. Ave mv is 1354fps w/ 540gn P.J. Creedmoor from a 30" bbl.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Velocity is for varmint hunters :D Develop a load that will get the job done for you're desired distance. Nothing more. More powder than needed = more fouling, more barrel heat, more recoil, more expense etc. And can be less accurate. FFG is a good mid size rifle powder, 1.5 FG is good in the 45 2.4/2.6 length and 1FG is good for high case capacity cartridges 45 2 7/8, 50 2 1/2 etc. It's all about case capacity and burn rates. But in the end, you'll have to experiment to find a load that meets your needs. Different makes of Black Powder will leave different fouling conditions.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Thanks
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

For whatever it might be worth, about 20 years ago I spent a good bit of time trying different things with my favorite 45-70 Sharps. I experimented with lots of variables, changing one thing at a time and chronographing in 9 round groups. One of the things I tried was different granulations of powder. I didn't pay any attention to fouling amounts, but did clean between the different strings. One fouling shot was taken before chronographing each 9 shot strings. Using a 64.5 grain charge of GOEX measured by weight. The bullet was the 420 grain FN from a Lyman 457193 mould sized to .457. Velocities are mean. I got the following results:

CCI-200 primer: Fg 1135 fps; FFg 1242 fps; FFFg 1301 fps; blended granulations* 1216 fps
CCI 250 primer: Fg 1120 fps; FFg 1218 fps; FFFg 1295 fps; blended granulations* 1209 fps

* blend consisted of 23% FFFg, 46% FFg, and 31% Fg

The most consistant (lowest SD) loads were with CCI 200 primers both FFFg & FFg with a slight edge to FFg. Using the CCI 250 primer the best was with FFg

George
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For shooting the paper targets, as in beyond 500 meters, mostly what Dennis wrote above. Fouling control matters in competition.

For accuracy on the paper, think about Rick Moritz's recommendations with the Incremental Load Development Method.

Next, consider The Balanced Load method in Black Powder Cartridge News to get your vertical adjusted. As Kenny W. wrote, in long range it is all about vertical. From my experience bullet design and low extreme velocity spreads matter. Understanding you will need enough velocity to get the bullet to the desired distance stable. (You have no control over conditions. That You Need To Adjust For.)

I cannot emphasize enough that it is a combination of shooter ability, load, and rifle performance that is paramount.

And once you have all that lined out go to a match and see what happens. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

That is what I call good information. I liked seeing the testing spread George did. I would have liked to see some results from 1.5 Swiss. Thanks to all of you that took the time to respond. I almost bailed on this forum, for some of the responses I got a couple weeks ago. You guys make me glad I stayed.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

That is what I call good information. I liked seeing the testing spread George did. I would have liked to see some results from 1.5 Swiss. Thanks to all of you that took the time to respond. I almost bailed on this forum, for some of the responses I got a couple weeks ago. You guys make me glad I stayed.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, thanks George, interesting how in every case the less hot primer resulted in more velocity!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

mdeland wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:49 pm Yeah, thanks George, interesting how in every case the less hot primer resulted in more velocity!
That was opposite of what I expected!
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

What am I doing to cause these duplicate posts?
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Only click the submit button 1 time, no more. Give it time to do it's job.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Also, if you see you've double-posted you can always delete one. Above the right-top corner of your post you will see an 'x' in a small box. Click on that and you can delete your post. But the easiest thing is just be patient. Can take a few minutes during a very slow time. Sometimes electrons get lazy.
Glenn