Smithmoor BPCR School

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor BPCR School

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends,
The first ever Smithmoor BPCR School was held this past weekend at Smithmoor West. It might have been the first ever BPCR school as I had not heard of such a thing before now. Judging from the positive feedback, it seemed to be a giant success. The whole thing was Steve Anderson’s idea and he was the driving force behind it. As always, several very generous and dedicated sponsors also made it possible. Shiloh Rifle, SPG Sales, and Wyoming Sight drifter graciously sent items to help. THANK YOU!!!

We had hoped to have 6-8 students and was going to cap it at 10. We ended up with 14 entries, but two couldn’t make it at the last minute leaving 12, so we went ahead and ran with that. I was quite pleased at the interest! 2 had shot for a couple years but are finding themselves in a rut, a couple had shot a little but were still unsure about the whole black powder deal, and the rest were complete newbies. I was shocked to have that amount of folks that are interested but never shot the holy black before! Yahooo!! It was very encouraging to say the least.

I was fortunate to have Michael Rix and Kenny Wasserburger agree to help me teach the class. We spent the entire day Saturday and a couple hours Sunday morning in the classroom. The rest of Sunday was spent on the range shooting. We covered pretty much all of BPCR, including hands on casting and reloading, and tried to put an emphasis on mental management and spotting/wind coaching. Michael and Kenny had lots of great information, and I even found myself picking up several new things to try. The last piece of classroom time I thought was a treat as Kenny walked us through paper patching by showing us molds, bullets, paper, and the process to actually patch the bullets. I am sure the students pretty much had information overload, but they sure got what they paid for! They went home with lots of material, notes, and contacts to follow up with anything else they might want to know.

Our students were absolutely super. They were very attentive, interested, and intelligent. It was really fun having a roomful of folks so interested in BPCR. It really gives one hope about the future of BPCR. We are thinking we will do it again next year. I know it is hunting season, but the dates worked out well for us. If anyone is interested, put it in the back of your mind for next October and watch for more info next summer.

Take care and thank you for all of the support,
Cody and the crew at Smithmoor Range
Gussy

Re: Smithmoor BPCR School

Post by Gussy »

Sounds outstanding!! Something similar at various clubs across the country could bring in a bunch of new shooters to BPCR.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Good for you guys. I'm curious as to the age of the participants. Hopefully you were able to pull in some of the younger folks. Not necessarily kids, but maybe young Adults? Anyway congratulations on what sounds like a successful venture for your first class. Something that might catch on in more areas.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

have there been any thoughts on an advanced class? with more on reading wind, shooting 1k yards and beyond, shooting form, etc? We have some of the best shooters in the world here in this country and it would be a pleasure to hear them talk and teach!!!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

sorry meant to add congratulations in the last post. Sounds like there is still plenty of interest in this sport if people are willing to teach!!!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

bpcr shooter wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:53 am have there been any thoughts on an advanced class? with more on reading wind, shooting 1k yards and beyond, shooting form, etc? We have some of the best shooters in the world here in this country and it would be a pleasure to hear them talk and teach!!!

matt
The advanced class would be come to Byers and shoot some long range. At some point after you have the basics, you just have to load some shells and go to a match. You will figure it out and there will plenty around to help.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

charlie young wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:46 am Good for you guys. I'm curious as to the age of the participants. Hopefully you were able to pull in some of the younger folks. Not necessarily kids, but maybe young Adults? Anyway congratulations on what sounds like a successful venture for your first class. Something that might catch on in more areas.
Participants were of the age you would expect. Half or so were in their 40's, several in their 50's and a couple in their 60's. This is an advanced sport and not for those who are just learning how to hold a gun, or which end of the shell goes in the action. I was very pleased with the students we had. I am betting we have more than a few new competitors.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I may have to bother myself and get in on the next one, not a newbie but I am sure I could learn from the likes of Mr Wasserberger and Jackrabbit. I learned a long time ago you don’t know what what you don’t know and many answers can address the same question.
Thank you gentlemen for your time to impart your skill and wisdom to those who wish to endeavor.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you guys for the kind words! It is appreciated. Maybe this school idea will take off and other clubs will pick it up. I think it shows that there are folks out there that are interested, but just don't know how to get started and are intimidated by just jumping in.

We are thinking to do it again next year and hopefully you can make it Randy. I am sure you will enjoy yourself and pick up some things that will help. Kenny and I were chuckling that we learned couple of new things from Michael Rix. There are always new things to learn for sure. It is also always fun to just hang out on the range, talk about guns, and spend time with a bunch of good, like minded folks.
take care, Cody