Gun safe

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chief Beck

Re: Gun safe

Post by Chief Beck »

I bought my safe about 4 years ago, Went with Sturdy 32"X72" with the thicker metal option weighs about 950 Lbs. It also has a dial lock, easy to use no problems. Sturdy advertises very small door gaps and it is true, a dime is the only coin that will fit on mine. It is a great safe, very happy with mine! Make sure you get a goldenrod or similar (light bulb) to go inside it to keep moisture away.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I have bought 4 gun safes over the years. I am scared of the electronic locks. The Sargent & Greenleaf dial lock will never let you down. Everything electronic goes to pot, sooner or later. Sargent & Greenleaf has been making locks for safes forever. The cheap safes at Tractor Supply are ok, but they are not built inside to hold guns without banging them against each other. So, buy one bigger than you think you will ever need. Get a Golden Rod to go inside.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I forgot to mention about anchors. If you have a concrete slab house, anchor the safe to your slab! One of my safes is so heavy, I had to move the safe and the door separate, but it is still anchored to concrete, inside a brick house. And don't feel real secure about a 1/4" door, when they have an 11 gauge body. 11 ga is 1/8" thick. It can be cut.

Most fire proofing is nothing more than fire code sheetrock. A true fireproof safe has multiple walls with insulation between each wall. Contact a large locksmith that sells safes or go on the internet. Most burglars are opportunists, and will just go for the easy stuff, but some have a plan, and none of them are 100%.
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

"Most" or more popular lower priced gun safes or RSC (Residential Security Container) wall thickness begin at 14-12 gauge and end at 10 gauge. Sturdy's base option begins at 7 gauge (3/16) and goes up to 1/2" (Don't quote me on the 1/2" it may be thicker). So their base metal option is all ready thicker than what most manufactures have to offer and will keep out your opportunist type thief and some of the more sophisticated ones as well. Cosmetically they look like a safe and not a piece of furniture. Sturdy has the best bang for your buck out there and is money well spent.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

No safe is Karma Proof. As in line the interior walls with vintage GOEX in steel cans. Make sure to post HAZMAT EXPLOSIVES on the exterior. You may loose your guns but they won't leave the property and it will be the last safe that perp torches. :twisted:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Lol :lol:
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Earlier in this thread I told the story of how someone had tried to break into my safe. I believe what stopped them from going any further was the notice on the front which read: "Danger Explosives" Inside were 5000 primers and 6 pounds of black powder in cans just like DD suggested. The BPCR guns which live in that safe were with me in Phoenix.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."