New .40 cal rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

New .40 cal rifle

Post by pacecars »

Thinking about a new .40 caliber rifle. Here is what I have planned so far: Sporter #1 with a 30” standard half round polished barrel, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, Hartford Collar, fire blued screws, bras escutcheons, steel butt plate and accent line on the cheek piece. I am trying to decide between the .40-70 straight or the .40-90 SBN. I know the smaller one is the more practical but my heart says go with the .40-90 SBN
Real gun powder is black.
Ray Newman

Re: New .40 cal rifle

Post by Ray Newman »

Ask Shiloh about the weight of the rifle you are thinking about.

I wonder about the overall weight with a standard half octagon barrel with the steel butt plate compared to the standard heavy barrel weight with the steel butt plate.

The Question in my mind is: Would a .40-90 with a standard weight half octagon barrel configuration have "noticeable" recoil??
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Whichever chambering you decide, be sure to get a 14" twist so as to be able to use longer ,heavier bullets than the usual 16 twist.
beltfed/arnie
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I think that one thing which needs to be addressed is the intended use of the rifle. A fast twist and heavy bullet is fine for long range shooting (just a fad in my mind though). If you want this as a hunting rifle, then I would be looking at a 1 in 20 twist and a 330 grain bullet. That's what the originals were. My Shiloh 40-70 2.5 straight is configured pretty close to what you describe. It handles the 330 grain bullet and 410 grain bullets just fine with the 20 twist. It is a 26" barrel, standard weight, half round/octagonal and built for hunting. And, with a full load of Swiss 1 1/2 it will kick hard enough to satisfy all but the most obsessive masotist (probably spelled that wrong). The 40-70 SS is a great cartridge and I have three rifles chambered for them including an original Sharps which has a 1:20 twist.

George
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Agree with George B. The BIG .40 cals were intended for use for light bullets, 260-330 gr for flatter trajectory and longer range for hunting purposes.

CHRIS
bobw

Post by bobw »

Std load for the 40-90 sbn was a 370 grain paper patch that is not an express load. As per Sellers, Rywell or Marcot. Your wrong look it up. Bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

OP considering powder availibility right now and sometime to come, you might want to think about 38-55 , 40-65, or 40-50 bn. 90+ grs in a 40-90 is 70-80 rds a lb unless you are sitting on 50 lbs. + of 1 fg why get one you can't feed after a couple/ 3 hardcore shooting sessions. At some point in time 1 has to separate dreams and reality, the time is at hand. The other day a guy called me up and asked about me selling him some powder he was out for practical purposes. I said well maybe but it would cost you a c note a lb. Why simple that guy could buy and sell me out of his frt pocket. I don't need the money but I do need the powder. Now if you discretely ask around here on the forum I'll bet all the smart guys who shoot much have seen to their powder needs for sometime to come and till it's readily availible again and plan on cutting back on their shooting volume. You asked for advice and I gave you plenty to think on, if it will make you feel better send me your address and I'll send you a consulting bill. Bobw
bobw
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I suppose if I went with the .40-70 I could always rechamber it later to the .40-90 SBN if the mood strikes me
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

This will be a hunting rifle
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Yes,
IN THE DAY, The gun/ammo companies got into a sort of a "Weatherby" binge,
promoting higher velocity ammo (but) with lighter bullets. Yes , "flat shooting". Good enough on smaller big game.
Again, up to a distance beyond which the slower, but heavier higher BC bullet loads would pass them up when
getting "out there" and end up with less drop.
Most of them died out, while the good ol' 45-70 and others soldiered on with
the heavier bullets/good penetration, killing power even at really long range.
beltfed/arnie
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

For a hunting rifle you really can't beat the 40-70 SS. the brass is more or less available. According to Barnes, that cartridge used a 330 grain bullet with a 1 in 20 twist. One of my 40-70s is an original Remington (rebored by Ron Snover) witha 1 in 16 twist and it needs a 410 grain bullet. That's over kill for hunting. I have been told that a 330 grain bullet can be stabalized with that twist, Maybe on a computer program, but not in this rifle. With the 410 grain flat nose I can easily hit a 40" gong at 1000 yards, but a 330 grain bullet gives a shotgun pattern at 100 yards. My Shiloh and my original Sharps both have 1 in 20 twists. I use a 370 grain slug in the original Sharps and a 335 grain bullet in the Shiloh, I am seeing a bit over 1500 fps with smokless powder in the Shiloh. Haven't chronographed the original yet though. If you are thinking about smokeless powder with no interest in using black, I think the 40-50 straight is a much better bet. My 40-70 smokless loads fill about 1/3 of the case. I think with the 40-50 SS and a 330 grain bullet a good smokeless load will probably fill about 2/3 of the case. BUT, if you want to shoot black powder, the 40-70 will do wonders for you.

George
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

George Babits wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:46 pm I think that one thing which needs to be addressed is the intended use of the rifle. A fast twist and heavy bullet is fine for long range shooting (just a fad in my mind though). If you want this as a hunting rifle, then I would be looking at a 1 in 20 twist and a 330 grain bullet. That's what the originals were. My Shiloh 40-70 2.5 straight is configured pretty close to what you describe. It handles the 330 grain bullet and 410 grain bullets just fine with the 20 twist. It is a 26" barrel, standard weight, half round/octagonal and built for hunting. And, with a full load of Swiss 1 1/2 it will kick hard enough to satisfy all but the most obsessive masotist (probably spelled that wrong). The 40-70 SS is a great cartridge and I have three rifles chambered for them including an original Sharps which has a 1:20 twist.

George
One in 20 twist will stabilize a 410 grain bullet out to 1000 yards? That is hard to believe. Easily hit 40" gong at 1000 yards? You should shoot some BPTR matches if that is true, you would wipe up.

Not trying to pick a fight, just questioning your statements.
Thanks, Cody
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Generally speaking, one in 20 twist is only good for the lighter bullets. One in 16 tops out in the low 400's, and one in 14 is needed for the heavier 40 cal bullets. Of course it has to do with bullet length and not weight, but the statement above is just a quick and dirty guide.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Just read your post again and I think I was misunderstanding you.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

This gun (or any Shiloh of mine) will never see smokeless powder. No offense to anyone that uses smokeless in their guns but it is just not for me.