Alloy hardness after cool down, 3 days and 7days

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GrumpyBear

Re: Alloy hardness after cool down, 3 days and 7days

Post by GrumpyBear »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 pm Congrats Ian, good shooting.
Agreed DD, Ian is a good shot and a good spotter,and a good friend, at the Hepsworth match he spotted for himself, so deserves that recognition.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Hopefully we will see scores and a report from the HepSworth match!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Same alloy ,water dropped , registering 7 when recovered ,at plus 20 hours is BHN 11, almost twice what the same alloy without water drop registered at 6.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That's quite interesting to me as I had always thought that water dropping set the hardness at the quench but this apparently is not the case as the water drop started at 7 and in less than 24 hours has progressed to 11.
Now I'm wondering what effect water drop quenching has on stability over time and does lead/ tin alloy react similarly or completely different.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I think I still have some 30-1 ingots left and if so I will cast up some of the same bullets and water drop them to see how they react without the Antimony to water drop quench.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

30-1 alloy ,water dropped ( approx 50* F. ) same as all other water drop temp, was BHN 6 . I'm anxious to see how the hardness and stability develops.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Aviator wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:20 am Hopefully we will see scores and a report from the HepSworth match!
If someone wants post a picture of the scores I can e Mail it to them for posting. I am away from my computer traveling to another match :D
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Another surprise; 30-1 lead/tin, water dropped, plus 30 hours are 11.5 BHN from a start of 6 BHN. I did not know previously that water dropped lead/tin would quench harden. I had always thought antimony was necessary for this to occur .
The only possible error I can invision is perhaps the mis- marking of these alloy ingots but I don't think it very likely.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

This means that the lead/tin reacted almost exactly the same to a water quench as did the 50-50 lead/tin/antimony mix. Now the question of linear stability on a similar time line peaks my interest. I wonder if the water quench will have a stabilizing effect on the lead /tin alloy to prevent the slip in hardness over a years time ?
I do know my .44 cal WW alloy has sustained it's hardness level within 2 BHN of when they were cast over 15 years ago.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Considering the potential advantage to this BBBBBBBBBBBig IF and that being a simple method to stabilize lead/tin alloy hardness over time, might possibly just advance bullet shape integrity both at bump up and in flight.
I believe I read some where in history that mercury added to lead/tin alloy was experimented with in this regard, No ?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Oh, almost forgot, this is day seven and the original 50/50 WW/lead mix, without water quench, is holding at 8.5 - 9 BHN.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I made an error on the water drop 30-1 lead/tin alloy hardness testing! I went back again tonight and retested the alloy not believing the results I got the other evening. They tested 6 just as they did when recovered from the quench. That means I tested from the wrong sample which were actually the 50/50 mix.
My bad, I had to correct the error I posted once I discovered the mistake. The 30-1 did not quench harden at all over the time since they were cast.