Vernier sight set

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Vernier sight set

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Once at Phoenix,

I had 28 minutes of left in, and was holding a target left to hit mine. :shock: :shock:
About 37 MOA. :shock: It was a steady 35-45 Mph wind at 1000 yards.

I don’t ever want to do that again.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Woody

Post by Woody »

I agree with Jackrabbit that the MVA Buffalo Soule are ridiculous, but I do like the MVA Hadley's. I too have shot in winds that are greater than the 22 MOA windage on my normal LR Soule by MVA. To prevent running out of adjustment, I installed a windage adjustable front sight. Yes I know that creates it own problems, but it's my solution to a infrequent issue. If the winds are that strong. I start with 10, 15, or more MOA on the front sight.

As for Cody's concern about the Hadley being accidently changed, I don't run my staff by loosening the eye cup for each adjustment. The only time I loosen the eye cup, is when I am setting the initial setting Mike Lewis advised me many years ago to only snug the eye cup, and then make all my adjustments during a string of fire by only turning the adjustment screw. That way your previous setting is not changed by loosening the eye cup, and any change is a true adjustment.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have ran past the 22 minutes on a standard MVA at Worland, Alliance, Cheyenne, Rawlins, Byers, Raton and Phoenix.
If you don't like the MVA Buffalo soul, then the solution is the Baldwin long range, or the Hoke , or if you get real lucky and find a good used Distant Thunder. Or if you really want to get really confused in a wind shift, use a wind gauge front. :D
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I have a Shiloh LRE 45-2.6 with a MVA Long Range Soule on the rear and a MVA windage sight up front. It is great to be able to dial in 10, 15, or 20 minutes of windage up front and just do the fine tuning on the rear sight. You will give up some elevation because of the taller sight up front. You also need to be familiar with the adjustment of a windage front. At Kenny's Creedmoor shoot years ago it was blowing pretty good. At 1000 yards I had 20 minutes cranked on the front sight with another 8-10 on the rear. I guess it depends what part of the country you do your shooting. Out here in the PNW we hardly have any wind at all. If you venture to Montana, the Dakotas, or Wyoming you better be prepared to deal with wind. Factor that into your equipment list.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Another good idea I picked up somewhere along the line is to set up a 3x5 card for both the front and back sight with your dope and twist direction to keep it straight when your brains turn to oatmeal in the heat of a match. I don't know how many times I have caught some one I was spotting for crank the wrong direction up front.
It's also a good idea to only use one brand of quality sight on all your guns as some of the less expensive crank opposite direction from one another.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Good advice Mike!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

At the Q, ran out of windage with the std MVA Soule.
Had plenty with the Buffalo version.
Better to have--and not need :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

The reason a windgauge front is a better idea in my opinion is so your cheek weld ( if you still can get one) and shoulder mount does not get so far out of alignment as happens when all the adjustment is at the rear.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'd venture a guess that this misalignment of cheek and shoulder mount brought on by the extreme windage correction has more to do with the bad shots and misses than does the actual wind.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

You have to have a good cheek weld.