44-90 brass forming suggestions

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jeff Michel

44-90 brass forming suggestions

Post by Jeff Michel »

I have a 44-90 BN on the way and am seeking guidance on what would be the best cartridge to use to form cases. Checking with BACO, their cases are not currently available, and I would not particularly want to wait for them to produce a run. I'm under the impression that the dies I have, CH4D would be up too the task of forming. Please correct me if you think I'm full of oats. Any help is appreciated. This is not an original Sharps BTW.
Thanks for your time.
Jeff
Distant Thunder

Re: 44-90 brass forming suggestions

Post by Distant Thunder »

Jeff,

What make of firearm do you have coming? The .44 caliber bottlenecks, .44-77 SBN and .44-90 SBN have no SAAMI standard and chambers vary considerably in the rim thickness and shoulder configuration. You’ll need to get brass for your specific chamber.

Due to it’s length and head diameter there is not really any existing case that can be easily converted to the .44-90 SBN. Unless you have experience with and the necessary tool to do cartridge conversion at this level you would be by far better off to wait for BACO to make a run of .44-90s.

I do not have any experience with the .44-90, but I do have a fair amount with the .44-77 including cartridge conversion. I took me a lot of time, effort and specialized tooling to convert 50 cases of a currently available cartridge to .44-77 and while they are useable cases they are not any better than the converted cases I have bought from BACO. The BACO case are excellent and when taken as a whole are very reasonably priced.

Someone here should be able to direct you to a source other BACO that may have .44-90 in stock, but I am quite certain you will pay a lot more for them.

The best way to get quality case at a reasonable price is to get them from BACO and then get as many as you can afford and a few more. Ideally you want all your cases to be from the same run.

I know there are a number of .44-90 shooters here on Shiloh and the information they can give you will save you time, money and headaches. I’m just trying to help you get started in the right direction by relating my experience with a very similar old and wonderful cartridge. Not everyone can see it but these two Sharps .44 caliber cartridges are a lot of fun to load and shoot, they just require a bit more determination to get there. For me it has been worth every bit of the time and effort that I have put in.

Enjoy the journey!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bobw

Post by bobw »

Jim has given you excellent advice. Only better would be to reselect a cartridge that brass is availible for that uses a modest amount of powder per shot. Bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Occasionally you can find 44 bottleneck cases floating about on the various gunbroker type pages.
If you just need a couple of boxes for hunting/plinking then Rocky Mountain Cartridge is a viable option.https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

First, I’d like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my question.
The rifle however blasphemous came from the other place down the street. I have several Shilohs in more or less prosaic calibers and this will be my first venture into bottleneck cartridges. I considered a different caliber due to the loss of Goex production but after some thought, I believe there will be some entity step up and fill the vacuum. Since I’m a fairly crummy shot, I don’t compete, just hunt and shoot to have fun the Rocky Mountain cartridge option will see me through until BACO works their magic.
Thanks again everyone.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ok, you might want to do a chamber cast first. They did for a time use a reamer that was adapted to use 45 =90 or 100 cases... So if it's one of those rifles, your case search may have just got a bunch easier.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Jeff, I have 100 cases from Rocky Mountain for 40-90SBN and they are really nice. I also am reforming my own 45-2.6 Starline cases. I agree that they can get you in the game until Buffalo Arms can reform some for you. Both companies do great work!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

But if it’s one of those rifles that was reamed for 45 basic brass....,
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

Based on the potential variables pointed out, it appears the smart money is on a chamber cast before proceeding. I don't there will be anything less satisfying than several hundred rounds that fit nothing.
Thank you for not letting me step in something fragrant.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You might ask the seller if there is any brass the rifle used available.
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

One of the first questions I asked. Sadly, nothing but the rifle.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well it's not the end of the world, especially once you get the rifle in hand, and see just what you have for a chamber.
Jeff Michel

Post by Jeff Michel »

I'm sure it will work out just fine, just anxious to do a bit of load development. Won't happen in time for deer season regardless, so no rush now. I just happen to have a rifle that will do nicely for deer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have an original 44-90, and make shells for it by soldering rims onto 375 H&H cases, with good success.

CHRIS
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

I would truly like to know how you do that. It is amazing to me that it would hold up to chamber pressures.