OFFICIAL 2021 FALL POSTAL THREAD

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: OFFICIAL 2021 FALL POSTAL THREAD

Post by Woody »

Left handed shooting of a trapdoor is no different than a lefty shooting a Shiloh. When I'm behind the trigger, I don't see the hammer. My concentration is front sight, target, and a Suprise trigger break.

I scored yesterdays target a few minutes ago. I'll post the results.

Shot at the HHRP range in Gnaw Bone, Indiana. My usual testing place. I didn't take any pictures of the rifle or range, but they have been posted on the thread already. The rifle is my Shiloh 45-70. Load is 58.0 grains of 2 FG Swiss, a .060-inch, LDPE wad, and a 545 grain 25-1 Mike Lewis Postell, lubed with Michael Rix's Eagle lube, and stuffed into a Winchester case, and finally sparked with a CCI BR2. I shortened the OAL to take the bullet off of the rifling. This cut the group almost by half from the day prior. Hmmmm. I will mention also, that during these last several testing sessions, I backed the forearm screws off one half turn, to reduce and tension caused by barrel warmth.

/attachment]
IMG_0004 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

So you don't have to ask. This is a scoped Shiloh 74. Fouling control was via BACO bore wipes and a chamber mop.

Woody

Would have scored a lot better had I moved the group to be centered, but once I started the ten-shot string, I didn't touch the scope knobs at all.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:29 pm YES, you see, you have to live here to understand. :wink:
And if you've never gotten to enjoy a beautiful fall day, or a gorgeous spring morning, or even a clear crisp all white winter morning, you wouldn't either. Plus we don't have to hide under an air conditioner all summer!!

But that's why we have so many great choices. We aren't all the same.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

I grew up in northern Ohio, and lived in north western Nevada for many years, have seen all the above. Shoveled plenty of snow and scraped frozen windshields to go to work every day. Enjoyed every minute :lol:
Lived in Florida for many years but, I don’t ever recall “hiding under an air conditioner”. Air conditioned shooting range might be nice though….. :D I think I’ll go lay out by the pool for a while…
Happy New Year.
Tom klinger
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Born and raised on Florida's NE Coast.
Was working on the equator off the coast of Brazil in December when the government sent me to the Coast of Maine to work in an open boat from Mount Desert Island to Calais. Then along the Rio Grande in Texas from Del Rio to South Padre Island before we escaped to Southern Arizona and about 340 days of sunshine a year, low to no humidity, few if any chiggers, and few if any mosquitos or sand gnats.

Generally speaking, the weather is so nice it is hard to convince yourself to stay indoors to load and cast and when you do venture out the ammo and range time is usually for practice way beyond 200 yards. Surprisingly it took no time at all to adjust to the weather but one does consume quite a bit of powder, primer, alloy and target material which in turn stimulates a desire to acquire more rifles.

Tough life but someone has to do it I guess.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Hmm, so are the winner’s circles populated more heavily by those who live in the warmer climates who can shoot comfortably year-round? Do those who live in the colder climates possess a higher intellect that allows them to gain sharper skills despite a much shorter shooting season?
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Of course there are those "in between" people in the cold climate areas that have
Shootin Shacks, to keep at least somewhat warm while shooting.
We shot a 22 gong match yesterday - "Indoor/Outdoor" . Better than totally outside,
but fingers still got very cold from the 9 degree breeze coming in thru the windows
beltfed/arnie
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

mike herth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:32 am Hmm, so are the winner’s circles populated more heavily by those who live in the warmer climates who can shoot comfortably year-round? Do those who live in the colder climates possess a higher intellect that allows them to gain sharper skills despite a much shorter shooting season?
I think "winner's circles" are populated by shooters who practice a lot no matter where you live. Higher IQ or buying all the best gadgets won't make you a better shooter. So, I live in Arizona, can shoot all year around, practice long range very easily and be comfortable doing it. I wouldn't live anywhere else :D Fact is, I'm loading up the rifle and gear right now to go and remove a few of the Coyote population from the cattle herd.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Where do you live Mike? Does the shoveling snow and freezing your balls off give you a higher intellect? Is that why the snow birds at retirement age leave and show up in Florida and Georgia? It takes 65yrs. to gain enough smarts to have what we Dumbass Southern Boys call common sense. :wink:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Hah, good one Coltsmoke😂! Well, I live in what’s called God’s Country, WYOMING, although I’ve heard those in Montana and the Dakotas lay claim to that as well. Nothing quite like gorgeous white landscapes and crisp invigorating air.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I'm hoping to be out there this year.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, Tuesdays and/or Thursdays are my normal range days at Tucson Rifle Club.

Tuesday January 4th Buffalo Wyoming High 34F - Low 1 F Wind 23 mph

Tuesday January 4th Tucson Rifle Club High 66 F -Low 36 F Wind 4 mph

I will endeavor to persevere here in Southern Arizona, and, be able to shoot an average of 340 days a year.

Maybe not tomorrow though, not hardly enough wind earlier in the day to dissipate the smoke.

Hard to see the target even at 200 yards in no wind conditions after about 4 shots. At 1,000 yards, forget it.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:13 pm
I will endeavor to persevere here in Southern Arizona, and, be able to shoot an average of 340 days a year.
Granted if your whole recreational endeavor is to shoot bullets at targets, Tuscon would be a great place to be in the winter, but there are so many recreational things to do around here in the winter with and without guns that it's seldom boring. ( Once we get done shoveling the snow)

Don't tell anyone but there is a viscous rumor they even shoot air rifles indoors on a given night each week to keep in practice!! :oops:
Coltwcf44

Post by Coltwcf44 »

mike herth wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:32 pm Hah, good one Coltsmoke😂! Well, I live in what’s called God’s Country, WYOMING, although I’ve heard those in Montana and the Dakotas lay claim to that as well. Nothing quite like gorgeous white landscapes and crisp invigorating air.
I'll second that, Mike.
semtav

Post by semtav »

BPCR

Scope

9.315.... Distant Thunder....SR 74.....44/77....86 gr Swiss 1.5....1-17 twist....Rem 2 1/2 LP......512 gr Brooks PP
11.205... Distant Thunder....SR 74....44/77....86 gr Swiss 1.5....1/17 twist....Rem 1 1/2 LP......512 gr Brooks PP
11.265...Distant Thunder.....SR 74....44/77....86 gr Swiss 1.5....1-17 twist ....Rem 2 1/2 LP.....512 gr Brooks PP
12.080...Distant Thunder.....SR 74....44/77....86 gr Swiss 1.5....1-17 twist.....Rem 2 1/2 LP.....512 gr Brooks PP
18.713......Woody..............SR74.....45-70.....58 gr Swiss 2F....1-18 twist........BR-2.............545 gr Mike Lewis Postel

Iron
10.98....ian45662.........SR 74.......45-70......85 gr Swiss 1.5.........16 twist........Fed 210M............Brooks 536 gr PP
12.85.....MrE................FBW.......45-90......76 gr Swiss 1F..........18 twist.........Fed 150M ... .......540 Gr Brooks Creedmoor GG
15.084...DAG45-70.......SR-74........45-70......66 gr Swiss 1.5.........18 twist........GM210M..............535 gr Baco Creedmoor GG

Iron (5 shot)

5.00.....R. Moritz.......... ???..............38-55.....57 gr Swiss 2F..........?.............FLP................360 Money GG
5.105....MrE.............Ball-Wall..........40-65.....51 gr Swiss 1.5.......16 twist........Fed 150M.......Brooks Snover GG
7.25......semtav............Borchardt.....40-82.....83 gr Swiss 1.5.....1-13 twist.....WLR primer......Baco DD PP
8.25......mike herth........ RB............45-70......75 gr OE 1.5........?...............?.................Brooks .441 PP

.22 Rifle

Scope

9.177.....Coltsmoke......CPA............Eley Match
15.245.....Woody.......Low Wall........Eley Tenex

Iron

Military

Big Bore

23.292....Woody....84 TD.....45-70.....60 gr Swiss 2F....BR 2 primers........525 Brooks "turkey killer"

Small Bore