OFFICIAL 2021 FALL POSTAL THREAD

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TGC

Re: OFFICIAL 2021 FALL POSTAL THREAD

Post by TGC »

semtav I'm encouraged to see that you believe that your shooting is improving. The orientation of the target backer indicates you now think you can hold a 48" vertical. :lol: :lol: . Seriously though, thank you for hosting the postal shoots. Tim.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Ha!! Probably why I do good at the 900 yd diamond.
With 68" vertical, how can you miss ??
semtav

Post by semtav »

for mike herth

m herth rifle 1.jpg
m herth target.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

except for the flyer, thats a dang good group Mike.
Was it a random one or the first one?
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Brian, it was a random flyer which is normal for me, I just can’t stand pressure I guess. The 4-shot cluster was very surprising and unusual even though it was almost windless that day. Three successive targets showed inconsistency with the same load so I’m not sure if it’s the load or the shooter that’s the issue, but I suspect the latter.
TGC

Post by TGC »

Mike that is a nice looking rifle. The block lever, is that a Gove modification? Is it original to the rifle? Tim
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

TGC wrote: semtav I'm encouraged to see that you believe that your shooting is improving.

Well said with tongue in cheek TGC, even though there was only one way to go from zero.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

TGC,
That is a Gove modification by Dave Higginbotham. Not on an original but an original Lone Star. I love it. I wonder how many Carlos Gove modified in this way. Many shooters see the handle and erroneously think it’s a Hepburn.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Well said with tongue in cheek TGC, even though there was only one way to go from zero.
I know I'm getting awful close to that string score. Where do I go from there?
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Forgive my ignorance but would someone explain to me how to score my target. Can I take dial calipers and measure the 10 holes from the center of the target to the center of each hole. Then add all those numbers? Does that sound right?
Woody

Post by Woody »

That is correct.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Tried our a couple of different projectiles in my 16 twist 45-70 shiloh today. I tried the money bullet that my highwall likes so much. My 74 isnt a fan. It does seem to like the elliptical bullet that I have shot out of it in the past though. Armed with this information I think I will start shooting it more often. Had some quartering head winds coming from 2 oclock. Not terriblle wind velocity but more than I like and had to make adjustments to keep them in the 10 ring. Info is as follows

Shiloh 16 twist 45-70, Brooks Elliptical which is a copy of the long bullet that Brent Danielson uses. It is 1.51" long. Weighs in at a nominal weight of 536 grains when cast with my alloy of 14:1 Bullet drops from the mould at a diameter of .445 and with the seth cole 55w paper it wet patches to a diameter of .450. Virgin starline brass was the case filled with 85 grains of a 2019 lot of 1.5 siwiss. that was topped with a .060 polly wad. I used federal 210 match primers and used a wad over the primer. MVA Long range buffalo staff was used along with the most bestest and robust front sight ever made... That is Distant thunder of course!!! Let me know if I missed anything. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ian45662 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I would also like to add..... In spite of shooting virgin non stretched brass I got not ONE single paper ring
Woody

Post by Woody »

Nice group. I too tried to shoot a group yesterday. Conditions were almost perfect, but I wasn't. The first seven grouped about like your grouping, then the bottom dropped out and the next three created a second group three inches low. I have not relieved the forearm on this rifle, (my new 74), I wonder if I should?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have a funny story for you woody. I was using the method you showed me at the last match in Friendship where you put just enough tension on the eye cup so that you can move it up and down without loosing it. I was moving the staff up and down and everything was going great. Had a quartering head wind so I went to bring it back up. Had a brain fart and loosened the cup and the thing jumped up a little more than I wanted. I just decided to leave it as is and try it. That is the shot that is highest in the group. If I wouldn’t have done that it probably would have been in the top of the x ring. :roll: