D&T new Shiloh and what scope option?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bohemianway

D&T new Shiloh and what scope option?

Post by bohemianway »

I am pondering putting a scope on my new Shiloh, #3, 30", 15.6lb, 50-90 and have the following questions:

1) In the hope for a traditional look of a full length scope I find the MVA's look to tall and turn the thing into a "chin gun". Would the "A" scope look relatively traditional in a 10.34" spacing (7.2" lands front base right on the "Shiloh" stamp)?

2) The Silhouette Malcom munts look more traditional vs the Winchester.

3) if I could make a Lyman STS, Litchert, or Fecker or even Unertl work with the 10.34 spacing I would simply do that and skip the traditional look since the scope is really for load development and a 200 yard Varmint match we have that has aiming points of about one inch so they cannot be seen with irons.

Any insights?

Thank you,
Charles
powderburner

Re: D&T new Shiloh and what scope option?

Post by powderburner »

In the hope of a traditional look talk to Mva about cutting the bottom of the scope in a dovetail to fit your site slots.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I have a full length scope on my Tollofson class rifle with the dovetail scope blocks and it does sit much closer to the barrel. If you're mostly going to shoot at 200 yds than I don't see an issue with the eye piece being to high off the stock. One thing though, full length scopes get black powder residue on the front lens and have to be cleaned often when shooting.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
sackett

Post by sackett »

Not sure with the full length MVA scopes, but with my full length RHO scope on a 34" barrel, I get zero residue on the lens.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

If you get the scope too low to the barrel, you'll run into elevation issues once you get to shooting very far out. I'd use the MVA scope and mounts or any other good quality scope, and standard mounts.