What's the difference between 40-82wcf and 40-82shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Oleblacksmith

What's the difference between 40-82wcf and 40-82shiloh

Post by Oleblacksmith »

Could someone clarify for me. Do they use the same dies?
Is the difference the rate of twist?
Thanks
DeadEye

Re: What's the difference between 40-82wcf and 40-82shiloh

Post by DeadEye »

No they are not the same and welcome to the forum. At my last count there were four different 40-82 reamers. The original has a very slight bottle-neck which makes it less functional for match purposes as it limits the bullet weight. Another one is achieved by simply running the 40-65 reamer in another .300" but the original 40-65 has a taper from mouth to base. Therefore a new 40-82 was designed which removes the taper for .600" at the mouth (if memory serves) and so it goes. That of course is just the beginning and twist rate is the next choice. I suspect Shiloh have most of them and will work with you but you need to know what you want.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

My 1886 Winchester in .40-82 used a 260 grain bullet as I recall. A good express cartridge for up to 200 yards on game. Wish I still had it although it was heavy to pack around in the woods and had a crescent buttplate.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

DeadEye wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:55 pmAt my last count there were four different 40-82 reamers. The original has a very slight bottle-neck which makes it less functional for match purposes as it limits the bullet weight.
Paul
Am wondering how it might limit bullet weight? Reduced bands allow one to load about any length/weight bullet they may desire. How well it might shoot at longer distances generally defined by the barrel's twist. Shiloh offers 14" & 16" twists in 40cal the last I checked.

Not sure which of the several 'modern' 40-82 cartridge profiles was the one that Steve Rhodes (may he RIP) chambered, but it allowed reforming 45-90 cases without trimming. It was slightly different from the one offered by Dave Crossno (may he RIP), but I've forgotten the details.
Glenn
Oleblacksmith

Post by Oleblacksmith »

Thank you all for the clarifications! I suppose that getting any chamber cut in 40-82 other than the original wcf type would necessitate having a new sizing die cut using the same reamer as the chamber reamer except perhaps the 40-65 reamer if you simply force the brass to extend thru the die by .300"? I have a Winchester 1886 in 40-82 which I load for and thought that there might be limitations to original cartridge shape for a long range shooting in a faster twist barrel. I'll need to think about this before I jump off and order another Shiloh sharps.
Again Thank you for your help!
Dave
Luke

Post by Luke »

I would call and talk to Kirk. I'd bet he's answered this question a few times already, and would know what best suits your application.
Limber Up!
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

i have shilohs version of 40/82 and it shoots great and functions perfectly you make brass from 45/90 and simple art
Oleblacksmith

Post by Oleblacksmith »

art ruggiero wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am i have shilohs version of 40/82 and it shoots great and functions perfectly you make brass from 45/90 and simple art
Thanks Art-
Where did you get your dies from?
Dave
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

I initially tried forming my Starline brass with the RCBS Legacy Series .40-65 dies. It sort of worked but had lots of cases jam in the chamber after firing. I then tried running them through a set of Redding .45-90 dies right down the rim to reduce the case head and beat them out with a bolt and washer. It worked to a degree but still had some cases stick after firing even though they dropped right in the chamber. I borrowed a C-H .40-82 Silhouette die set from a friend of mine and squashed them down with it. That solved my problem. The load seemed to want to shoot, but all of the cases that stuck produced a flyer. After using the C-H die, the stuck cases and flyers went away. It was the weirdest damn thing.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Wagonmaker
I have had 2 different .40-82 chambers cut by 2 different reamers, a modified 40-65 and a Crossno with .600 neck, both have sticking, hard to extract brass. Been using Starline brass and ch4d dies for the initial forming. So far I have not figured out the reason. The cartridges just drop in, but it takes a lever whack to pop them out, I did grind some off the sizer die to get the web formed to the new taper, but the condition still exists. My chambers are not rougher/smoother than any of the other calibers here. Have a new batch of brass I have not tried out yet......just don't. know. Seems like there is no brass spring back?
kw
Oleblacksmith

Post by Oleblacksmith »

Did you anneal the brass before sizing and again after they were completely sized and before loading?
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Yes annealed before forming and after each firing. Neck sized for the GG loads, and FF'd only for paperpatch. All cases fired by now 5 times each.
Anxious to try the new batch of brass soon. This current batch from 2 yrs back has had a few head separations along the way also. For all the grief, it is an incredibility accurate cartridge.
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Both of my .40-82 rifles are Shiloh. An 1874 Hartford and an 1877 #1. The brass and load works equally well in both guns. I can’t explain what I had going on. The friend I borrowed the die from has a .40-82 Rolling Block built by John King. His brass even fits in my chambers and vice versa after firing.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.