45-110 load

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chickm1

45-110 load

Post by Chickm1 »

I bought a new Shiloh 45-110 with a 34" barrel. I'm new to this. I have 1.5 F Swiss, and I bought some Montana bullets, as I am not geared up to cast yet. Probably bought the wrong stuff, but what I got is 480 and 525 gr. I also have some 405 gr for my 45-70, that will work. Have any of you used this combination? If so, what kind of powder charge did you use? I also have some of the fiber wads, and the bullets are greased with SPG. Thanks!
semtav

Re: 45-110 load

Post by semtav »

This is just my suggestion. You will probably get many others totally different.

First, Determine if you are you gonna reload sized or as fired brass

Second, determine the oal of the cartridge with the bullet you want. (Bullet should be touching the lands)

Third (after priming) Add enough powder and one wad to bring the level up to the bottom of where your bullet will be.
(most will do this by drop tubing the powder into the case)

Fourth install your bullet to just touch the wad.

That's your starting point.

(I usually skip ahead and either add another wad or thicker wad or a little more powder and compress it to the level I want to get my starting load)

then start experimenting with the bullets, powder, primers and wads you have
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Thanks. I doubt I can touch the lands with a grease groove bullet. But, I don't know diddly squat about loading for the Shiloh.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

If you take the bullet of your choice and drop it into the empty chamber, your bullet is now touching the lands.
Measure the distance from the rear of the chamber to the bottom of the bullet, then add to this dimension to the length of the bullet to get the maximum cartridge length. These measurements will also tell you how much of the bullet will be inside the cartridge case,
so you can fill the case with powder to the bottom of the seated bullet.

I would recommend 1Fg powder for you shooting enjoyment. 1.5Fg swiss is too much of a good thing.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Not disputing what you say about powder, but an old man I know, with a number of rifles and decades of shooting them, uses 4f powder! He does several other things contrary to what I've heard anyone else say. He claims greater velocity, good groups and no fouling. He is a respected marksman in this area, among those who know. I just had no idea he shot BPCR until a couple weeks ago.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Mike T, I use a similar procedure when loading other metallic cartridges, using an empty and partially resized case and a bullet that will slide somewhat easily in the case.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If the rifle is a B serial numbered, and the chamber is unmolested, you'll likely just want to start with the bullet seated to the driving band. Figure out where the base of the bullet will be, fill the case to that point, add a .060 fiber wad, seat the bullet and let the target tell you what it needs from there.
1f is a better choice in both my 110's but of course your mileage may vary.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Do you use a wad of any type over the primer?

Have you ever experimented with finer grain powder?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I have. And found i teally appreciate the properties of 1F over the finer granulations especially in the large case.
I F is a shove ,2F is a quick push , 3F is a slap
I would not even venture into 4F territory in the big case. But thats just me. It all works but for long strings of fire 1F is unbeatable in the big case imho
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

I appreciate your info. This is all new to me, so I ask a lot of questions, and I will ask the same questions to a lot of people. When I came here, I got kicked around by a few jerks, bit since then I have found good people with good info. Thanks
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I mostly shoot paper patched bullets in my .45-110, but it does shoot quite well with about 93gr of Swiss 1.5 and a BACO 458535 Money bullet seated to just touch the lands. I haven't shot that load much, but it seems to work pretty well out to at least 800m. With my paper patch loads ( which are based on what Kenny W. uses ), I've only ever tried Fg.

Chris.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Chickm1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:56 pm Thanks. I doubt I can touch the lands with a grease groove bullet. But, I don't know diddly squat about loading for the Shiloh.
How old a gun is this? Serial number? How much freebore? Bobw
bobw
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I like what everyone has written, especially Chris (gunlaker). You have the powder and the bullets, and hopefully primers. I ‘think’ everyone will agree - don’t leave any open air space between the powder column and the base of the bullet; I’d fill this space, if there is any, with wads.

Just my thoughts,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Bob,
I ordered a new rifle, then saw this one in the Gun Inventory room, and bought it on the spot. It is brand new. Still have the other on order.
Chickm1

Post by Chickm1 »

Opencountry,
Yeah, after the Obama shortage, when Trump got in, and things became available. I bought a few primers. lol And when I heard Goex was shutting down, I ordered a case of powder. Hope 1.5 Swiss works for everything real good. :D