Cartridge Seating Tool

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

patchbox

Cartridge Seating Tool

Post by patchbox »

Cartridge Seating Tool for Sharps Rifles - Cam it forwards instead of backwards. Short knob maybe would work for rifles with scopes?
Made out of Naval Brass so as to cause minimal wear on cartridge and receiver. Grooved to prevent contact with primer upon seating. Will cam in a cartridge about .200"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobw

Re: Cartridge Seating Tool

Post by bobw »

Very nicely made. Now learn how to make the ammunition fit the chamber properly. Bobw
bobw
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I like it. I’ll take one.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Very nice machine work.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Or, you could purchase one of these, patterned after the Steve Rhoades (may he RIP) design.
Seaters.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Breech Seater? or some prefer to call it a camming tool?

Despite my best efforts and routine while "SHOOTING A MATCH" occasionally the need for a breech seater arises and nothing else will suffice, AND, that breech seater must be within easy reach when the need arises.

That need seldom arises during practice.

Same goes for a separated cartridge case stuck in the bore of the rifle. Seldom if ever happens in practice, BUT, in matches is a different matter all together because the timer continues to march. As long as I have the device to easily remove that piece of stuck case from the rifling there are no separations, but OHhhhhh, just let me leave it in the truck instead of having it on the firing line. Expletives deleted.

Experience dictates that a breech seater and stuck case in bore remover are seldom if ever necessary, BUT, like automobile insurance, when you need it, you need it and nothing else will do when the Officer on scene requests your drivers license and proof of insurance. 8)
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

One of my two .45-110’s is equipped with an MVA scope. In the hot summer months here in SE WA State these two rifles I shoot get really hot with repeated firings, making the steel swell. When this happens the pp loads I shoot get just a little snug pushing them up into the rifling with my fingers. In the cold weather the fit is nice. Anyway, I made an 5/8” oak dowel to persuade the round home. It works well.
R
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

For whatever reason I have to use one from time to time. I have the type that Glenn makes and they work very well.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:52 am Breech Seater? or some prefer to call it a camming tool?
In the single-shot vernacular, it is my understanding that a Breech Seater is used to seat a bullet, alone, to the preferred depth into the chamber/rifling and is pretty much universal in benchrest Schuetzen competitions (not sure about off-hand).
Camming tool is correct (as the tool 'cams' the cartridge into the chamber - especially with a Shiloh or Hepburn, which essentially have zero camming action when closing the action). The 1885 has some camming action and the Stevens 44 1/2 even more. Cartridge seater is also the correct term.
Glenn
semtav

Post by semtav »

Does anyone make one for the Borchardt?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

semtav wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:03 pm Does anyone make one for the Borchardt?
Yes, but I'm out of stock at the moment (have two Sharps, six 1885 & six Hepburn) and will be lucky to get any more made by the end of the year. We are backed up on machine time with high volume jobs, so taking a machine down to make these is a problem at the moment. Times are too good to be running small jobs, unfortunately.
Glenn
semtav

Post by semtav »

No problem. Just put me on your list for one.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

Are these for sale?
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

semtav wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:53 pm No problem. Just put me on your list for one.
Will do.
Glenn