Unique Stuck Case Remover

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Unique Stuck Case Remover

Post by TexasMac »

If you load long enough & full-length resize you’ll eventually screw up and miss lubing a case. Here’s an interesting item I ran across on Amazon to remove a case stuck in a resizing die.

http://tiny.cc/ws4luz

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Woody

Re: Unique Stuck Case Remover

Post by Woody »

That will work only as long as the rim of the stuck case is stronger than the resistance. The few times I have stuck a case in a die, I have ripped the rim off. I then drill and tap the stuck case through the primer pocket and use a bolt and collar to pull the case. Takes only a minute or two and cost for the tap is minimal.

Woody

PS: The only times I have had this happen is with 30-06 and 45 colt. The 45 colt is the worst offender.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Having stuck a few cases over the years, for me the first thing that goes away is the case rim. I was surprised at just how easy a Dillon 450 ripped the rim off of a case. I don't remember if it was a .308 or an 06 but either way the rim was the first part to leave the case. In one instance I was able to drill out the primer pocket and tap it 1/4-20 and use a bolt and washer stack to get the case out. In another instance the head was completely removed and I ended up using a 7/16-20 tap to grab the case and an arbor press to remove the case. I don't see that FA gizmo as being a good solution to any stuck case situation.
Sam
Griff

Post by Griff »

I may be mistaken, but it looks to me like the tool clamps down on the case and doesn't rely on the presence of the rim. I'm not sure if you could apply enough force to keep it from slipping off, but maybe if the jaws are sharply grooved and you really tighten it down it might work. I will keep using the methods described above (I think that I've stuck maybe two cases in 30+ years of handloading), but I wouldn't dismiss this tool. Frankford Arsenal is a reputable company.
Dangerous Freedom
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I read the comment about it looking like it clamps on the rim. I went back and took a close look at the pictures and yes it looks like it has groves to clamp on the body base but the pictures show it clamped on the rim. In the pictures the rim looks undamaged and a de capping pin sticking out like maybe someone ran the case in without it being engaged in the shell holder. I would like to see it used on a case with a rim ripped off and see how well it works. Other than that I know what has worked for me in the past and I have learned a few causes of a stuck case. I now strive to avoid all of those causes and so far things have been working well.
Sam
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

buy the RCBS one and be done.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

The RCBS stcuk case remover only works if you can remove the decapping rod (if it has the case neck expander button on it, forget it). Also only works if the case still has a head (balloon head cases tend to shed them).
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I just back it out and drill then tap....never had a problem guess ea to their own
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member