Confession

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Confession

Post by semtav »

As most of you know, DD and I go around a lot on the PP/GG subject, vertical dispersement, etc
I continued to do so, because I secretly thought DD was a closet wrapper and just didn't want anyone to know how how well they shot. instead trying to lead us down that greasy path never to return.

But then with all the time on my hands last spring, I got to thinking. "What if he is telling the truth and these GG bullets really do hold an advantage ??"

So I set out to design the perfect GG bullet capable of taking advantage of all the aerodynamic niceties !!
After months and months on the drawing board, weeks and weeks on the computer trying to find the most capable mould maker, and days and days of testing different alloys, I thought I had the perfect bullet. Exact nose shape, perfect number of grooves, proper dia meplate etc, etc
GG bullet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Re: Confession

Post by semtav »

Then to the range for the critical test at 200 yds.
GG target.jpg

5 shots at 200 yds.
I do think DD is on to something !!!
Those GG must hold better vertical than the slicks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Of course I know you all want to see what the final product looked like so .............

GG shell.jpg

WHAT ?????

you don't really think I was gonna put that greasy crap on a perfect bullet did you ???????????????????
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Perfectly perfect. That looks like the best of both worlds.
ThT on the frostbite target site.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bobw

Post by bobw »

Sorry it was done on a paper target wiff scoring rings and all dat chit. You want offishal results you gotta use a refer door. Bobw
bobw
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Semtav,
Right On.
Note that back in the late 1960s, Col. Harrison and Ed Harris developed paper patched bullets for smokeless 30 cal target.
They had started with lyman 311334 gg bullets sized down to 0.301 and then patched up to freebore/groove diameter.
At first they then had mold cut smooth and it did not shoot as well as the resized gg bullet which still had residual grooves.
So then they designed in shallow grooves for new molds at 0.301 and after patching to usual groove diameter, they shot well
or better than the reworked gg bullets and at Full Jacketed type velocities in 30-06, 308W and even 300 Win Mag.
These were the Lyman 301618 and 301620 bullets.
See the No. 301215 mold in the NOE catalog for a new rendition of the 301620, 200 grain bullet.
beltfed/arnie
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Grooves on the PP bullet. This an inspiration --- I intend, maybe this winter, to embark on PPing jacketed bullets. Grooves may help secure the PP's if that turns out to be one of the problems. I realize this project is "pushing the envelope" in many different directions. Pressure, velocity, temperature, bullet hardness.....

CHRIS
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Cousin Chris,

There are no problems keeping the patch on the bullet.

DDPP or PP
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

What can I say and what should we expect?

Here it is Thanksgiving time of year and it is customary for Turkey's to be full of stuffing. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:23 pm What can I say and what should we expect?

Here it is Thanksgiving time of year and it is customary for Turkey's to be full of stuffing. :roll:
Well, I do have another little confession !!!

I may have embellished a wee tiny bit of that bullet/mould acquisition story !!

for instance, I'm not sure the thought ever crossed my mind that DD might be right about GG bullets,

So, I doubt I would have spent months and weeks and hard earned money coming up with a perfect mould just to try to prove DD right

(about 15 minutes and a few bucks might have been spent in that acquisition)
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now we know what a Turkey gobbling in English looks like in print. :mrgreen:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

I thought the $60 investment was worth it, if only for the benefit of jobbing DD.
Might actually turn into a good Postal match bullet too.
Can't imagine a GG bullet being good for much else !!
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

beltfed wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:01 pm Semtav,
Right On.
Note that back in the late 1960s, Col. Harrison and Ed Harris developed paper patched bullets for smokeless 30 cal target.
They had started with lyman 311334 gg bullets sized down to 0.301 and then patched up to freebore/groove diameter.
At first they then had mold cut smooth and it did not shoot as well as the resized gg bullet which still had residual grooves.
So then they designed in shallow grooves for new molds at 0.301 and after patching to usual groove diameter, they shot well
or better than the reworked gg bullets and at Full Jacketed type velocities in 30-06, 308W and even 300 Win Mag.
These were the Lyman 301618 and 301620 bullets.
See the No. 301215 mold in the NOE catalog for a new rendition of the 301620, 200 grain bullet.
beltfed/arnie
Arnie,

What was the reason for grooving the bullets? Seems like counterintuitive to me, but if the results show it as being useful... Haven't given up yet to PP the little 30-20, but it's a challenge... It will put 2-3 bullets together, and then put the next one somewhere way out. The amont of cleaning doesn't really seem to matter.
semtav

Post by semtav »

martinibelgian wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:53 pm
Arnie,

What was the reason for grooving the bullets? Seems like counterintuitive to me, but if the results show it as being useful...
I remember when I was first toying with the idea of switching to PP, the theory was bantered around that the grooves have a stabilizing affect on the bullet and PP bullets wouldn't be as stable. No idea if it was actually true. I've seen some pretty good PP results.

I've never had any luck with my PP 40-65 loads before. Too much vertical. but DD is pretty sure that is just the nut behind the trigger. Maybe, maybe not.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

No issues shooting PP in the larger calibres, works well. But these smaller bores, that's another thing entirely...