ultrasonic cleaner

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

ultrasonic cleaner

Post by rgchristensen »

My 40-year-old cleaner died, but Harbor Freight had one on sale for about $60. Bought and am satisfied with it. It has a heater in it, and doesn't hold as many cases, but does 100 or so perfectly OK. I think it is better (more powerful) than the antique one. I don't care if my cases look like new, just so long as they are clean.
CHRIS
VenisonRX

Re: ultrasonic cleaner

Post by VenisonRX »

Chris, I was just asking on another post about ultrasonic cleaners. I’ve never used one before. I soak, scrub, dry, then tumble in corncob media before loading. What’s your ultrasonic cleaner regimen consist of?
—Tom
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

I use a FA wet tumbler with SS pins for cleaning cases. Hot water, 1-2 drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid and 1/8tsp Lemishine.

I have a Hornady ultrasonic w/heat, that I use for cleaning gun parts and my wife's jewelry, distilled water and white vinegar.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Harbor Freight sells an ultrasonic cleaner for about $60 or $80 that’s the exact same model that Lyman sells for $200. Just has a different label on it. Identical in every way.

It will get your brass pretty clean with just some hot water and a little simple green. You can mix in 1/8 teaspoon of Lemmi-shine if you want.

A lot of guys just use regular hand dish soap, which is ok too. Advantage of SG is that it has sodium carbonate in it and a couple of tablespoons in the ultrasonic will get you to a pH of between 7.5-9.5, which will neutralize BP fouling. Dish soap won’t really alter the pH much.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

VenisonRX wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 pm Chris, I was just asking on another post about ultrasonic cleaners. I’ve never used one before. I soak, scrub, dry, then tumble in corncob media before loading. What’s your ultrasonic cleaner regimen consist of?
With my old Hornady ultra sonic, I prewash the cases in warm water and Oxyclean, simply put them in a coffee can drop in some Oxyclean fill with water, with the lid on roll the can around in your hands slowly for a few moments. Rinse clean and pop them into the ultrasonic for 2 of the long cycles, Rinse and dry. What I've found with cases if you treat brand new once fired cases in that manner, they will stay relatively shiny for several trips thru the cleaner. But the older used cases generally need a short trip thru the tumbler to put the pretty back on.
I have a new Hornady with the heater and the longer cycles, but have yet to use it.
I like the Ultra sonic for taking along on long matches such as the now extinct NRA BPTR nationals, or the current Desert International match. I also use it if just running out in the back yard and testing maybe a dozen rounds at 1000 yards.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Most importantly, no need to handle each and every case individually, just rinse, put them in Che cleaner, and go do something else.
Flintlock Shooter

Post by Flintlock Shooter »

I have used this one for years. Works great and holds a lot of cases. I'm new here (first post) and just getting into BPCR. I have shot long range center fire competition for many years and this cleaner will hold about 600 308 cases. With ultrasonic cleaners, the number of transducers is what is important.

https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-Professiona ... ljaz10cnVl
namsag

Post by namsag »

Does the use of the ultrasonic cleaner dispense with the need to brush out the case necks?
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

namsag wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:49 am Does the use of the ultrasonic cleaner dispense with the need to brush out the case necks?
With an effective cleaning solution an ultrasonic will completely remove all residue from the outside and inside of cases, so not need to brush out the necks.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
namsag

Post by namsag »

Thank you sir, I enjoy your site.