patches

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

patches

Post by rgchristensen »

I am done with cotton patches. Now use patches cut from "microfiber" household wipers. They don't get flabby like cotton -- I wet them with whatever solution and wring out dry in my fist. They are kinda a PITA to cut out, but are readily washable, unlike cotton patches. Takes a reverse-taper jag to accommodate the bunching of the thick patches. You'll be amazed that a 2nd patch will come out as clean as it went in.
CHRIS
Moezingo

Re: patches

Post by Moezingo »

pm me for a sample of the best patch. bar none. or call me @ 714 719 9090. Paul
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

OK I"ll bite, what are microfiber household wipers?
Chris Wilson
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Why do I feel like I’m about to be shipped samples of used underwear…

PM sent
—Tom
Rockridge

Post by Rockridge »

VenisonRX wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:46 pm Why do I feel like I’m about to be shipped samples of used underwear…

PM sent
You can trust Paul...... He has good Patches!

Ed
Rockridge
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

mongo40 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:18 pm OK I"ll bite, what are microfiber household wipers?
Several guys are using them around here. They are getting them from Harbor Freight and seem to really like them. They come like a small towel and they cut them to the size they want. After each use, they wash them and re-use them. Seems like a good plan. I don't like picking them up and washing them so am still using the throw away Arsenal patches from Buffalo Arms.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Another Arsenal patch user. I've got more enjoyable things to do with my time then wash used patches, so once & done for me.

As Cody states, collecting after a relay is a pita, so I have a $5 16" x 10" snap-top plastic tray I set down in front of my sticks to catch each patch. On a windy day may need to put a large rock in the tray to keep it in place, but sure makes collecting patches quick & easy. And, if you are someone who washes & reuses patches it keeps sand & grass, etc. off of them, as well.
Glenn
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I have one of these around the house somewhere…I’ll try it out!!

[/url]https://youtu.be/F3lrhPeK6gU[/url]
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

chris; art the micro fibers very thick? art
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

ART:
The cheap ones from Hazard Fraught vary in thickness by color. I use the orange ones, which mike at 0.020" in a dial caliper. They are thick enough that a reverse-taper jag is good to maintain firm bore contact along their length on the jag. A "lingerie bag" is convenient to contain them whilst they are in the washer and dryer.
CHRIS
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I found that cotton balls do the best.
Give them a try.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

I went to my local fabric store and bought a couple of yards of light flannel. $5 or so, dirt cheap.
I can rip/split them up into two inch long pieces, then cut them into two inch squares very easily.
I put the long strips together into groups of four and each cut makes four patches.

I then wet some and put them in a freezer bag, and put another bunch dry in another.

I don't reuse them, too cheap and easy to make, but I suppose you could wash them.

or I could go to the gun store and buy a bag for $15, but it's just me....Ken
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

As cheap as those fiber clothes are I’m not convinced it’s worth the effort to wash and reuse them
I also chuckle a bit over the comments about not having to gather up the used Arsenal patches, doesn’t matter what sort of patches someone needs to police them up
Cotton balls are interesting as I have seen patch pans cluttered up with them catch fire near the end of a relay😜
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?