First attempt at casting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

lmontee

First attempt at casting

Post by lmontee »

So, while I’ve been waiting on my first Shiloh 74, I’ve been accumulating the various components to get into this for reloading. I finally made my first attempt at casting this week. Figured it’s going to take a lot of practice to get anything that is good enough to shoot.
The first 10 bullets I cast I threw pack into the pot. ( A 20 Lb. Lee ) I have a Steve Brooks Creedmoor mold
And he recommended 30-1 lead so that’s what I’m using. Used an RCBS Lead thermometer to check temp which was around 825 degrees initially, I lowered it to around 800.
I’m using an RCBS ladle.
I counted to 5 seconds while pouring, then 5 seconds for the sprew to frost, then 15 seconds before I opened the mold. I cast 50 bullets in this manner.
My issue is about 80 to 90 percent of them have slight rippling on the forend of them. I weighed all of them and with the exception of 6 of them they range between 537.6 grns to 538.8 grns. Note that the 2 sample bullets Mr. Brooks sent me with the mold weighed 540.2 and 540.3 grns..

So my first question is what can I do to remedy the rippling-pour faster or different temp? Just guessing on my part. Secondly, can the 2 grain difference between the samples and my attempts be due to alloy differences or just bad casting on my part? Note that the heaviest bullet I cast was 539.4.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter.
Larry
rippling2.jpg.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VenisonRX

Re: First attempt at casting

Post by VenisonRX »

Other guys on here cast in a day as many bullets as I’ve cast total but in my limited experience, from the looks of it your mold isn’t hot enough. I get the same thing until my mold heats up. I try to let my mold float on the led awhile before starting to pour. I’ve also read that you should cast a hundred or so bullets before you can expect good ones if you don’t heat up your mold.
—Tom
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Wasn’t able to find any of my pictures just now of my first few bullets but it takes me around 20 bullets after letting my mold heat up to get a halfway decent cast. Once it’s good and running it takes about 10-15 seconds for my spru to frost with an iron mold. Cut all those times and numbers down with an aluminum mold because they change temps pretty quickly. Sorry for the second post. All of that great information came to mind after it was too late for me to edit the first. Try letting your mold get a little hotter though. Took me awhile to figure that one out and that was after I found out my mold needed to be hot. Welcome to the hobby Larry!
—Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Lyman lead thermometers are not all that accurate, but they do repeat well. My thought is that you are casting too cool. Maybe lead is not hot enough, or your mould is not hot enough, or your cast cadence is too slow. I too use the Lee 20 lbs pot, a lyman lead thermometer. I cast using a 25 - 1 alloy, but your 30 - 1 may need a little more heat. I preheat my mould on a hot plate so that I usually cull the first two to four. My lyman thermometer reads 800 when I start casting. I cast quick until I see the sprue start to tear instead of smoothly cutting. Then I slow my cadence to keep the sprue cutting smoothly. Casting good quality bullets has a learning curve. Keep at it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

A good thing to do is preheat your mold on a hot plate.
Get a cheap 7.00$ One from walmart set it on med and turn it on when you start melting your lead. It will be about right when you start. You can bump it up or down to get it right. I leave the thermostat alone and just plug and unplug the thing.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

I do have a hotplate already but was worried about over heating the mold. I'll toss these back in and try it again with a hotter mold.
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

I warped a set of mold handles once because I was dumb and impatient and used a torch to try and heat the mold up faster. Took me a minute to figure out why there was a seam down the center of my bullets. A hot plate should be much safer.
—Tom
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

IMG_0005.JPG
This is me at work. I do as Woody has said but I do not use a hot-plate. I cast 30:1 mostly at 800 degrees. I just throw them back until the wrinkles are gone, usually about 20. Notice I have modified the Lee-20. I drilled the bottom-pour bracket to accept the Lyman thermometer and that is where it stays for the session. That is after I screwed it down tight, never used it.
I also turned the temperature setting knob and plate around (four screws) to keep the thermometer at the back. When this was taken I was doing about 80 bullets per session, I'm down to about 50 keepers now as my knees get older. That is a piece of nylon carpet but it will melt if you don't put a cotton cloth over it (old towel). I am casting with my Brooks 40-65 410 gr. Turkey Killer at this time. The wood block is for tapping if necessary only, you don't want to peen those mold pin holes.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

IMG_0105.JPG
Ready for another summer.

Paul
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

IMG_20170210_090900274.jpg
Ready to pan lube, 100 at a time, old pot with about and inch of water, hot-plate. When I'm going to load I do this step first so that by the time the rest is done it has cooled. Push them out on to a drop cloth, several layers of old towel, and save the cake for the next batch.

Paul
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

OK for those who use a hotplate to preheat their molds. Do you only rest the bottom of your mold on the coil, or do you rotate it to try and get more evenly dispersed heat?
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Use the hot plate, just the bottom of the mold on the hot plate. Use a wooden block to prop the handles on. Turn the hot plate just a little under the hi setting. Let the mold heat up while your pot is heating up. Turn your heat up to 850. Your biggest problem is letting the mold set for 15 secs. before you cut the sprue. Cut that down to 5 secs. In a nutshell, turn up the heat and speed up. Clean your mold good before you start, brake cleaner, carb. cleaner, lacquer thinner and a toothbrush, take your pick. After 6 or 7 bullets you should be good to go.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I would highly recommend long sleeve shirt and regular pants. At least some type of glasses. No exposed skin. A visit from the tinsel fairy is very unpleasant.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I use a hot plate with a solid top, not a typical heating coil.
When I preheat my mould, I also preheat the lead dipper and stirring spoon.
My Lyman thermometer is about 25 - 40 degrees higher reading than my RCBS, or Tru-tel. So I keep track of what temperature I want with any of my thermometers. The main thing is; Do not depend on my thermometer readings unless you are actually using MY thermometer. I adjust the melt temperature based on alloy mixture; generally, 16:1 requires less heat than a 35:1 alloy. Do not be afraid to try a higher or lower temperature melt.
One thing to note; when you have a melt that is casting good bullets, turn off the circuit breaker before you unplug the pot. That way you will have the correct temperature next casting session and your 120x outlet will last longer.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

I have always been safety conscious. Was wearing long sleeves jacket, safety glasses, levis, shoes, well ventilated unlike photos previously depicted :mrgreen: 8) but thanks for the warning