Silhouette course of fire

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Silhouette course of fire

Post by JonnyV »

So I’m pretty new to BP shooting and there’s a silhouette match near me. What’s the usual course of fire? How much ammo should I take?

Sorry for the dumb questions…trying to get started in this sport….thanks!
Woody

Re: Silhouette course of fire

Post by Woody »

Most matches are 40 shots for score, although some are 60. Figure 5 sighting rounds per animal to refine your setting and warm up your barrel. That comes to 20 rounds minimum to be added to the shots for score, 60 rounds and 80 rounds. Some open the range for practice prior to the start of the match. If so, bring a few extra for that.

You will be assigned a starting point prior to the start. You will need a spotter/coach to assist in spotting your hits/misses. and advising on condition changes.

I started to basically re-write the NRA rule book then thought better of it. I would recommend that you download the silhouette rule book from the NRA web site and then ask specific questions.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Hey Jonny, just making sure you know that there are quite a number of different Silhouette matches: pistol, small bore rifle (22), pistol cartridge lever action rifle, lever action rifle, high power, etc, and of course the ones we all know and love: Black Powder Cartridge Rifle(BPCR) and 22BPCR.

So make sure you know which one(s) the clubs in your area run, and follow Woody's advice (download the rule book and read it, followed by more specific questions). :wink:
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Cool thanks guys!

This one is for BPCR. I have a bunch of ammo loaded with Old Eynesford powder that I need to get rid of so that I can have the empty brass back… I think this is as good an excuse as any!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'm sure you'll have a blast. For our clubs 2 day matches + practice, I bring about 200 rounds. Better too much than not enough :-)

Chris.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

What shooting positions are normally used? Sorry I’m at work and don’t wanna get caught printing off the NRA rules lol…
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Pigs (300m), turkeys (385m) and rams (500m) are all from the prone position with cross-sticks. The chickens (200m) are off-hand and very much the most difficult to score well on. They are usually the difference between Master and AAA shooters.
Glenn
MrE

Post by MrE »

Section 5 of the NRA 2020 silhouette rulebook.
5.8.1 Firing Position, Black Powder Cartridge Rifle and Scoped
Black Powder Cartridge Rifle - 200 meters - Any standing position
without artificial support. The rifle will be supported by the hands and one
shoulder. All parts of one hand must be forward of the pistol grip.
300, 385 and 500 meters - Any position, including crossed sticks, but
excluding bench rest.
(a) A “crossed stick” position is one where the shooter is in a prone, sitting,
kneeling or standing position with the barrel or forearm resting
in or above the “V” of the crossed sticks in such a manner that no
competitor or range personnel are endangered. See 5.2.1.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Good info thanks!!

are we permitted to use those cool palm rests on our rifles for offhand? I have a CPA being built right now, so if one would be beneficial, then I'm adding it to the order LOL... :D
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Printed the rules and answered my own question….bummer. I wanted one of those palm rests!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Palm rests wont work well, even if it was allowed, if you didn't have a Swiss buttplate also. Without the hooked buttplate and a palm rest together, the gun's buttplate would keep sliding up off your shoulder.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Not true. You just have to push down with your trigger hand to hold rifle butt in place on your shoulder. I shoot my silhouette rifle and schuetzen rifle from the same position. The schuetzen butt just allows me to relax a little more.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I might still order it anyway…I can always de-mount it from the rifle when it’s not needed or allowed. Price is reasonable too…
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

jackrabbit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 pm Not true. You just have to push down with your trigger hand to hold rifle butt in place on your shoulder. I shoot my silhouette rifle and schuetzen rifle from the same position. The schuetzen butt just allows me to relax a little more.
I find it more of a hindrance than a benefit to try to control the balance, and grip the wrist or pistol grip when using a palm rest without a pronged buttplate.
I have a lot of schuetzen rifles, and fitted a few of them with a 2nd buttplate that's a shotgun hard rubber style, so I can shoot them easier from cross sticks, or the bench. Played with using them in the typical palm rest offhand position, but with fairly heavy 30"-32" barrels, it's futile to expect good offhand groups not using the Swiss buttplates also.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I ordered the CPA with a Pachmyer decelerator...I know it's a sacrelidge, but I want the rifle for competition shooting and I plan to shoot it a lot. My Shiloh order has the shotgun butplate and I'll likely leave it that way. Gail at CPA says her rifle has a rubber plate on it and the reason is helping keep it planted in the shoulder without having to go to the pronged butplate.