Help with a LGS find.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TN Longhunter

Help with a LGS find.

Post by TN Longhunter »

Local shop calls me when they have something out of their normal expertise. Estate sale with modern guns, two cut Trapdoors, muzzleloaders missing locks and a different 63 Sharps. Photos tell most of the story. Breech block is missing, Schuetzen butt plate but the kicker is the Evens Repeating Arms barrel? Primer feeder is missing and has a cartridge hammer. Serial number is C33XXX.
Any info will be appreciated. How hard/where to find a breech block and lever, Value, worth getting to restore?

Don
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobw

Re: Help with a LGS find.

Post by bobw »

It's a conversion 63 percussion gun. It still has the thick lock plate with the primer feed mechanism ground off. Needs a lot of expensive parts lever, screws, linkage, lever spring and block?, breech block, extractor? Firing pin and other parts. As far as the barrel goes many gunsmiths back then would use whatever they could get their hands on if they thought it was serviceable. Price?
bobw
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

If the price was right I'd have to get it, it would be fun restoring this old rifle, If finding a block proved impossible I would think a good machinist could make one that fit. There is a couple of levers on GunBroker right now. I often see sharps parts for sale on there but haven't seen a block, doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Chris Wilson
bobw

Post by bobw »

bobw wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 am It's a conversion 63 percussion gun. It still has the thick lock plate with the primer feed mechanism ground off. Needs a lot of expensive parts lever, screws, linkage, lever spring and block?, breech block, extractor? Firing pin and other parts. As far as the barrel goes many gunsmiths back then would use whatever they could get their hands on if they thought it was serviceable. Price? I also think with the purchase price you would have more than a new shiloh in it by the time you had a serviceable "parts gun". bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

bobw wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:41 am It's a conversion 63 percussion gun. It still has the thick lock plate with the primer feed mechanism ground off. Needs a lot of expensive parts lever, screws, linkage, lever spring and block?, breech block, extractor? Firing pin and other parts. As far as the barrel goes many gunsmiths back then would use whatever they could get their hands on if they thought it was serviceable. Price? I also think with the purchase price you would have more than a new shiloh in it by the time you had a serviceable "parts gun". bobw
bobw
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

So much not right with the gun. hammer wrong, barrel not a Sharps, no markings,
no breach and T. guard at all.
It was a parts gun at some time that someone decided to 'play with'.
If you needs an action from a conversion, go for it, but if not. move along.

what would I pay. $200 max, and even then I would think about it.
Ken
bobw

Post by bobw »

$200 well kenny you don t have to worry about buying it for that amount but just the way it is your powder supply will last awhile. bobw
bobw
TN Longhunter

Post by TN Longhunter »

Thanks to those that posted and sent PMs about this. No, not interested in taking on a project that will sink a lot of time and money for not much value. I told they shop that it was basically a stripped receiver. Just trying to get some idea about price for them. With the muzzleloaders, this Sharps and a few other oddities, they would likely take a low ball to get rid of them.

Don
TN Longhunter

Post by TN Longhunter »

Thanks to those that posted and sent PMs about this. No, not interested in taking on a project that will sink a lot of time and money for not much value. I told they shop that it was basically a stripped receiver. Just trying to get some idea about price for them. With the muzzleloaders, this Sharps and a few other oddities, they would likely take a low ball to get rid of them.

Don