MVA reticle recommendations?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bohemianway

MVA reticle recommendations?

Post by bohemianway »

Hey,

I am going to get an "A" series 10x and would like to know the pro's/con's of the available options (apparently they do not supply with the aperture style in the "A"). I most likely won't be BPCR'n but just local paper and steel targets out to 400 yds.

My initial thoughts are the centerless mildot for the small occluded center on the target yet having tick marks for Kentucky windage.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Charles
amprat

Re: MVA reticle recommendations?

Post by amprat »

The young lady I spoke with at MVA, suggested the same mil-dot reticle. I had been leaning towards the 6moa aperture. But am now reconsidering, as all my scoped rifles are mil-dot as well.

I had read that the 6moa would outline a regulation target center well at multiple ranges.

But I may well have been reading too much recently, my head is swimming in BPCR info...
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Centerless mil dot.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Another centerless mil-dot user. However, if memory serves. BrianC shoots a mil-dot reticle and it is hard to argue with his results. That said, it is really a personal choice. The nice thing about MVA scopes is you have choices and can change the optical cell yourself in about 15 minutes. I've never had a problem selling the cell I was replacing once I settled on using the one I prefer.
Glenn
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I use the mildot reticle. MVA 23 inch. 6X. First scope title in 2006. :shock:

With proper focus it works very well. 6 National scope championships in BPTR, couple winter Nationals and 4 America’s cup high scope/heavy.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Well, you could do this, buy the centerless mil-dot and shot it either way. If you want a dot just drop down and use the first one under the crosshair, just adjust your setting for that. Adjust your setting for the crosshair either one will work, I've used the dot before on mine, worked fine. To each his own, your choice.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Those are the reasons I planned for the centerless however one last question:

Malcom vs #2 mount?

1) they say only 7.2" spacing with #2 but I can only think the adjustment range would be the concern. I called but no answer yet.

2) #2 adjusts easier but not to original looking.

3) Malcom has large range but adjustments difficult.
a) Schuetzen for common movements relative to Unertls etc.
b) Creedmore for most range but is it awkward.

Thank you,
Charles
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

bohemianway wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:22 pm Those are the reasons I planned for the centerless however one last question:

Malcom vs #2 mount?

1) they say only 7.2" spacing with #2 but I can only think the adjustment range would be the concern. I called but no answer yet.

2) #2 adjusts easier but not to original looking.

3) Malcom has large range but adjustments difficult.
a) Schuetzen for common movements relative to Unertls etc.
b) Creedmore for most range but is it awkward.

Thank you,
Charles
You probably won't need the Creedmoor mounts in many cases if you are using the 10.23" ( or is it 10.34") spacing and shooting 1000 yards or less. I can easily get to 1000 yards with the Schuetzen mounts. The marks are a pain to read. I use the "MOA knobs" for windage.

Chris.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I have DZ mounts so I can't tell you what to do on mounts.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

bohemianway wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:22 pmMalcom vs #2 mount?

Thank you,
Charles
I use the MVA #2 mount on my 10x scope with centerless mil-dot reticle on 7.2" block spacing. The 7.2" gives you 1/2moa per line, which is mentally easier for me to keep track of in the heat of battle (that is, when shooting a BPCR string of animal in 5 minutes). With the 10.34" spacing your at 1/3moa per line and my feeble mind finds it harder to track. Also, you get 50% more elevation with the 7.2" spacing.

MVA offers a 30moa rear block. I found with my barrel that the 0moa rear block left me with only about 5moa to play with at 600yd. Not enough to be 'comfortable' with in a stiff headwind. The 30moa is something you can request when ordering your scope or simply purchase one from MVA. I've no idea if I can get to 800/900/1000yd with this set-up, but am guessing I'll need another 30-50moa of elevation.
Glenn