Stock strength

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

lmontee

Stock strength

Post by lmontee »

I should be getting close to receiving my letter for final rifle configuration soon. I’ve resolved all of my choices excluding one, wood grade. I’ve searched through the existing posts and think I’ve been through the majority of them. I really like the look of the Feather Crotch figuring similar to what is shown on Shiloh’s web site for their Saddle Rifle. I like the figuring for the Sporter # 3 as well. I’m caught between Extra Fancy and Presentation wood. I’ve read the comments on the lack of integrity/strength of the presentation grade wood, but I would really be interested to hear from the folks that have ordered presentation grade rifles. I understand the key is to have straighter/stronger grain through the wrist and intend to have Shiloh hand select whichever choice I decide on to have that. So if those with presentation grade rifles could comment along with which caliber they have on those rifles, your time would be greatly appreciated. Also, as a side note, my rifle will be a 45-70, Montana Roughrider.
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Steve Sudbeck

Re: Stock strength

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

I just received my LRE in 45-70 with presentation wood; I must say that the stock is so stunning in color and feather variation that I find myself just staring at it in the light - a brilliant piece of walnut. As the grain moves up thru the neck, the figure gets a little less “busy” - I guess adding strength in that area. I (personally) have zero concerns about stock strength in any area - I am sure that Kirk knows wood very well by now, I am quite sure that he qualifies as an expert on both grain and strength. I have owned a Shiloh rifle in the past (Hartford 45-70) that was ordered with x-fancy wood that was also exceptional - lots of busy feather and color. I have also ordered a C. Sharps 1885 in 45-70 to be built with presentation wood. I am sure that it will be a great piece of wood but my experience with both companies is that Shiloh wood (grade for grade) is more stunning, busy, feathered and colored than C.Sharps - I would assume that subjective grading and sourcing are simply different - I do not know.
If you are a wood guy, upgrade as much as your wallet will allow. If you are a practical rifle guy (traditional), lesser figured wood will serve you well. Your choice of stock wood is dependent on your wants and your wallet. Good luck.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about the strength of fancy wood vs plain wood. Unless you are using your rifle as a club or your horse rolls over with it in the scabbard, you aren't going to bust it. Get the wood you want, treat it as you would any rifle, and it will be fine.

George
Doug

Post by Doug »

^^^^agree with this

I’d get the fanciest wood your budget will allow……you won’t regret it……it’ll always hold a special place in your collection.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

got mine couple weeks back and it has presentation grade, I have ZERO concerns about it breaking.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member