spotting scope case

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

sackett

spotting scope case

Post by sackett »

Inquiring minds are wondering, how many of you guys use a hard case for storing and carrying your spotting scope? I just bought an 82SV scope, but haven't gotten a case yet. I see Kowa sells 2 different "soft" cases, one looser with foam rubber padding and the other more snug, according to their sales sheet; but am also looking at Pelican and SKB hard cases. Just curious what everyone else uses.

For those with the soft pads, do you keep it on all the time, even when it is being used?
Randy Bohannon

Re: spotting scope case

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have a Zeiss spotting scope and it lives in its soft neoprene case that has eye piece and objective lens covers. Mounting base is open, screw on tri pod of preference remove covers and good to go. It has served me well with zero nicks dents or scratches after 20 years of dragging it everywhere.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Soft case and it never comes off just like Randy said. There will be a time when the wind blows and you're ALMOST close enough to catch it before it hits the ground. Haven't been quite as lucky as Randy, 15 years and one tiny nick.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
TAA

Post by TAA »

A short story…

I was at the CBA National Tournament in Raton, in 2009. One of the guys had (8) different spotting scopes clamped to a wooden rail, aimed at a mirage board out @ 200-yards. At your leisure you could look through each to see which one you liked. My wife was with me and watched me keep going back to the Zeiss. When I wasn’t looking, she asked the guy about the one I seemed to favor and he wrote down the details for her. That Christmas, under the tree, was a Zeiss scope, 85T*L, 30-60X.

Later I found out what that scope cost her. Were it up to me I would never invest that much in a scope. But I told myself that kind of investment needed a secure carrying case so I bought a Pelican 1250 hardshell case. The foam was cut out to a custom fit for the scope body and its removable eyepiece in its own little round zipper case. A Sinclair bench top “mount” is used so I don’t have the scope up in the air on a tripod, at risk to being blown over, where a “wrapped on” zipper case would soften the impact with the ground. Were I attending BPCR silhouette matches like most of you, I’d probably get the zipper padded case like others here. A sturdy, well designed tripod can be as important as the scope!

Tom
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have the soft neoprene covers on my scopes, that Stay on them all the time
For transport I have a hard case with the pick foam that you can customize to the shape of the scope
I got it at Harbor freight , the same case that some places sell for two or three times as much
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I usually keep the soft cover on the scope.
But for transport I bought a soft side tool bag which has reinforced bottom panel, and a zippered top. It is just the right size for both my angled down-scope, and my straight tripod scope.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Mine stays in it's padded zip on case at all times and I only have to unzip the little slot to attach to the tripod. When traveling the scope rides in the soft bag that carries most of my other items needed for the match. I have never had a problem.

Dave
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The Unertl spotting scope with table stand fits in a Barska scope box I have. Stand extensions not in any box
Regards
John
VBull

Post by VBull »

2 Kowa scopes. Both in the codura covers. I've been rolling them up in my shooting mat for as long as I've been shooting with them. No damage to date.
The shooting mats don't look so good anymore, but not because of the scope.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I purchased a Pelican case for my KOWA TSN 883. Other shooters claim a Pelican costs too much, but I always say a good case is cheap compared to cost of a good spotting 'scope.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
sackett

Post by sackett »

I wound up buying this SKB case on e-bay last night. https://www.skbcases.com/music/products ... c=153&s=75.

Will probably put the soft cover on it as well. Considering my previous spotting scope was a Bushnell 20-60x60 Sportview from 1992-ish, I want nothing to happen to this one, I also bought the Creedmoor bench mount stand for when I'm at the bench. I liked it better than the Sinclair because I have horizontal movement as well as the vertical.