Powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Re: Powder measure

Post by Coltsmoke »

Does the Matchmaster drop tube it in the case? What does the Matchmaster cost?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Aviator

Post by Aviator »

JonnyV wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:53 pm For that money I want one that can resolve down to .0001 grain, which the Promethius can. The Matchmaster I already own is the next best thing. Guess that’s where I’ll stay for the foreseeable future.
Jonny: You appear to be claiming the Prometheus precision is three orders of magnitude better than the manufacturer claims.
The following is copied and pasted from their website:

How accurate is it, really?
The Prometheus is typically within 0.1 grains of the desired charge weight the scale is set to. This means if you adjust the scale to 40.0 grains, it will typically produce a charge within 0.1 grains of the setting.

Count me out!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Aviator wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:00 pm
JonnyV wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:53 pm For that money I want one that can resolve down to .0001 grain, which the Promethius can. The Matchmaster I already own is the next best thing. Guess that’s where I’ll stay for the foreseeable future.
Jonny: You appear to be claiming the Prometheus precision is three orders of magnitude better than the manufacturer claims.
The following is copied and pasted from their website:

How accurate is it, really?
The Prometheus is typically within 0.1 grains of the desired charge weight the scale is set to. This means if you adjust the scale to 40.0 grains, it will typically produce a charge within 0.1 grains of the setting.

Count me out!
Sorry…got that from farther down the page where Speedy was talking on back checking the units he has. Mis-typed .0001 for .001 in my haste….

“At this point in time I have three of your "Prometheus Gen II" measures at my disposal and two Denver Instruments magnetic force restoration scales, a SI-64 and a PI-114 that resolve into 0.001 of a grain (In Metrology to speak of any number, be it dimension, weight, or velocity, the instrument used must be capable of discriminating 10 times finer than the number you wish to report on accurately).”
carl thomas zmuda

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

I got my first Lyman 55 in the 60s.
More recently I found 3 more.
I use them for both black powder and smokeless.
Have a good day!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've used my Harrell's for smokeless for some time now, with exceptional results. So when I began my BP journey I decided to try it for BP also. I dropped charges and then double checked them on my RCBS beam scale. I finally stopped checking them as the charges didn't deviate enough to make me want to continue with weighing each charge.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Blows my mind why everyone doesn't use one.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Well, the Harrell’s is intended for “discerning shooters”. The Lee dippers and balance are proven technology for many (most?) of us. But seriously, I’m skeptical of the needed precision in powder charges in tenths of grains, especially at long range when environmental factors rule the day. On the other hand, you will not see me in the winners’ circles but that does not reduce my enjoyment of shooting these rifles. And I have nothing but respect for those shooters who do so well in meeting the challenge.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

My preference for the Harrell's Precision measure goes beyond it's accuracy. I have numerous extra plastic hoppers, and I can dedicate a hopper to a powder and just unscrew it and store it with the lid on it, so no need to keep pouring powder back in the original container between loadings. And then there's the repeatability feature. I can count the clicks needed for a specific powder and charge, and using tape I write it down on the hopper. So I pick up a hopper and dial in the clicks written down, and it's exactly where it was the last time I used it. No wasting time adjusting, and weighing charges until I get back to the previous load.
I just like the ease, and accuracy of my Harrell's measure. And I can ask another friend how many clicks for a certain powder and charge he uses with his Harrell's and go home and dial in the same on mine, and it's always either exactly the same as his, or darn close.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Cody,

Will the Harrell’s drop 103-110 grs of powder in a single drop?

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:57 pm Cody,

Will the Harrell’s drop 103-110 grs of powder in a single drop?

Kenny
The Culver Premium version will do 120 grs.
sackett

Post by sackett »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm The Culver Premium version will do 120 grs.
Being at the edge of the powder measure's max capacity, what type of spread do you get for say 10 or 15 loads at 105 or 110 grains?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I use it and have for years. My loD for yhe 2&7/8 is 107.4. That load in norma cases sets right at the mouth with room for a 30 tho wad.
The wad touches the powder every drop. So i would say the thing works just fine for big charges. As with all it has to be run consistently.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the info. Was looking at it on Buffaloarms website this might be a stupid question what best way to set it up on your reloading bench. Never messed with one. Thanks
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

sackett wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:37 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:30 pm The Culver Premium version will do 120 grs.
Being at the edge of the powder measure's max capacity, what type of spread do you get for say 10 or 15 loads at 105 or 110 grains?
I'm never at the edge. I load for my .45-70's and my .44-77's, so it's always been well below the maximum. Planning to work up loads for my .40-85 Pacific, but that wont max it out either.