Powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Powder measure

Post by JonnyV »

Coltsmoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:06 pm Does the Matchmaster drop tube it in the case? What does the Matchmaster cost?

The Matchmaster is a really impressive dispenser. Accurate to .1 gr in normal mode, .04 gr in match mode. It's an improved version of the Chargemaster (which I really liked too). Consensus amongst the "precision" bolt gun crowd is that if you want a better machine, you have to start spending much higher amounts of money, and even then, the improvement is small.... diminishing returns....
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I am in Phoenix currently to shoot a handful of matches. Vintage sniper next Tuesday, 22’s at Lapua test center next Monday after. Then 22 on paper then Zack’s big match. Fuel running 4.79 to 5.56 depending where, that’s diesel.

I arrived about 230 pm. I stopped by the Cactus Classic bench rest match, said hi to my buddy Dan Sutton, our friend since I was 18 Walt Berger of course has passed and it was noticed. Several mentioned the match isn’t the same without him. I know the feeling. I last saw Walt in 2019.

Saw a lot of Harrell’s powder measures on the benches, you know what I saw next to them, an electronic scales run off batteries. :shock: :shock: :shock: Yup the best bench rest shooters in the world throw their charges, then…… :shock: then Fugging weigh them.. OMG. :shock: :shock: :shock: :P

Saw a lot and I mean a lot of RCBS Charge Masters being used also. And 3 very High dollar eclectic measures in cases to prevent wind issues.

Guess what……I am going to stick to weighing my powder. :roll: :roll: :lol:

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey Kenny, how many were using black powder? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

All powder is black Cody. :lol:

That’s what Texas company man me once at the range. :roll: :lol: :lol:

I did have a Harrell’s user try 110 grs of FG in his measure. The 13 charges he dropped varied 1.7 grs in weight. :shock: :shock:

As we all know it’s the Indian more than the Arrow, you’re a good example of that. But this old crippled up Indian likes to have the best arrows possible. :P

Kenny Wasserburger

Dan Sutton mentioned that coarse powders even in a Harrell’s, hard to get consistent weights you can feel shearing when you operate the measure. He is one of the best slug gun shooters I know and Stan White has won multiple national championships with BP Slug guns. Both of these champions weigh their charges.

Steve Garbe once told me, “when I shoot for blood I weigh my charges, and Kenny I always shoot for blood.”
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Can you use the Harrell’s with a rcbs stand or do you need to buy a Harrells stand. Thanks
craneman

Post by craneman »

The Harrell's comes with a thumb screw type clamp that can be attached to almost anything.
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Greybeard. My rcbs has a ridge in the cross member and my harrel does not set flat or solidly. If you were to file it flat it would do great to hold the harrell
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I had a stand bolted to my bench for my Lyman 55, and just set the 55 aside and clamped the Harrell's to that riser base. Thought it might shift a little maybe, but it's been solid.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the info. Looking at the price of RCBS and Harrells. The RCBS is cheapest but didn’t know if it would work. Thanks