Shooting "Creedmoor" or back position

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

marlinman93

Re: Shooting "Creedmoor" or back position

Post by marlinman93 »

One thing I've observed over decades of looking at various original Creedmoor rifles is how they mounted the heel sight. It varies from just screwing the base on with two wood screws, to inletting a blued steel base with single centered wood screw at the heel, and the plate D&T for the std. base spacing.
And heel sights often have two notches in the staff so they are vertical when used in either location. A typical long range tang sight for the tang position will only have that notch, and one strictly for the heel will have a different notch for the vertical position.
I've also seen sights with different length indexing springs so the detent held them in one of the two positions, but with a different spring for each position.
1minute

Re: Shooting "Creedmoor" or back position

Post by 1minute »

Can't comment on the competition legality, but as a youngster that was my favorite position for Va woodchucking with a scope and 6mm Remington. Extremely stable and accurate as long as the grass was not too high.

Most modern arms, however, are too short on the barrel end and one needs to be extremely cognizant of those exiting gases.

Interesting discussion.
1Minute