Rolling Block No 1

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

marlinman93

Re: Rolling Block No 1

Post by marlinman93 »

Not all BP actions have enough metal to cut them to Sporting octagon top look. Many will be too weak by cutting them to octagon top, so good gunsmiths build up the receiver rings with weld to allow them to be shaped without getting too thin.
I usually just leave them round top like the early Sporters were, but shape the trigger guards down to sporting style, or get a pistol grip lower trigger plate that's already shaped. I do like Rolling Blocks, especially the pistol gripped frames! But I like Remington single shots in general. I'm putting a DST Hepburn together currently, and hope to have it finished this week. Just doing the rust blue on the barrel now, and should be out shooting soon. It will be a 34" #4 weight full octagon barrel in .40-65 chamber, with 1:16" twist.

marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Hepburn is done finally. Rust blued the barrel and bedded the forearm to the new barrel's contour. Need to cast up some bullets from a couple molds I have for .40 caliber in 415 gr. Snover, and 465 gr. Accurate mols. Then work up loads to see what it likes.

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

The 16 twist will be entirely too slow for that real heavy 460 gr bullet.

About 420 will be the max with that twist.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

So does that mean that the smaller the diameter of the bullet, the faster twist you need to run?? It would seem like that's the case but as with everything I'm learning to verify first....it would explain why my buddies are running 7 and 8 twist in their 6mm's while a 15 twist is considered uncomfortably fast by some on here for a 45 cal barrel...
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Has to do with caliber, cartridge, and twist rate. I have the Lyman Snover and also a little heavier 430 gr. similar to the Snover. So I'll give those two a try.