The Quigley Shot

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ole pizen slinger

The Quigley Shot

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Ray Newman

Re: The Quigley Shot

Post by Ray Newman »

I am skeptical.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Ray Newman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:52 pm I am skeptical.
Of which? The movie shot, or anyone who could hit a bucket offhand at that distance? Maybe the youtube guy took numerous shots, and is showing us his hits? Or maybe he's good enough to do it?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

The movie is just entrainment, nothing more.

As for hitting a 16x16" target off hand and without a spirit level to show any rifle cant at 782 yards, I just don't know. My eyes are correctable to 20/20 and from watching 600-1000 yard matches at the Sacramento CA shooting range and while in the military, that is a tall order. He did say that it was 3 hits out of 8 shots. So maybe he is lucky or talented?

Wish he would have divulged more about his load besides 5774 powder, 500 grain bullet data from Accurate Powder Comp. and the Lyman Manual.

I will agree with him about the benefits of dry firing.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

It’s a movie, and smokeless, who really cares.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

This guy is starting out about like I did, geeking out on the science of the whole thing....rifle appears to be a Pedersoli. Look at the sights.... I used an almost identical load at the Q last year. It's performance at long range is what convinced me that I needed to make the jump to BP and a heavier bullet (and a new rifle or two) in order to be more competitive. He doesn't really provide much info on what his load is, but mine was 29.5 gr with a 505 gr Accurate bullet (gas check). My SD with that load ran about 5 fps. Problems related to the bullet not being quite heavy enough and the lube I was using (Carnauba Red) is a hard lube not well suited for this type of work.

He could have made a shot or three on that target at that range but owning a youtube channel myself, I'm guessing that he made plenty of shots to get those three.