bullet tip

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: bullet tip

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks for that info Ian. It's good to hear that those riles are working for you.

Chris.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Is their any benefit to going longer? Do longer bullets have better BC? Just for the sake of conversation would a projectile that is 2”
Long be better than one that is 1.5”. If all things are equal will the longer projectile do better at longer ranges?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

No simple answer.
I've found that it is easy to get "too long" with our slow bullets (not the same when your high-power bullet is still super-sonic at 1000yd). For instance, in my 12", 13" and 14" twist 38cal barrels I've never been able to shoot the 360gr Money bullet well at rams or 600yd (never tried at longer distances). My guess is they are marginally stable at a distance past turkeys and any breeze makes that worse. Am guessing that they also do not do well going thru the trans-sonic region as they drop below 1100fps.
My two 'new' 38cal bullets both have an elliptical nose, which seems to work better in my 40cal. Haven't been testing due to primer & powder constraints.
Just my swag at all this.
Glenn
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

ian45662 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 am Is their any benefit to going longer? Do longer bullets have better BC? Just for the sake of conversation would a projectile that is 2”
Long be better than one that is 1.5”. If all things are equal will the longer projectile do better at longer ranges?
Assuming it's completely stable, the higher BC will theoretically be better. It is a case of diminishing returns though. Maybe hardly or not noticeable though for what we do. Practically, you'll have a hard time getting past 1.51" on any bullet mold that uses Saeco blocks.

Chris.