Flight Trajectory

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LazyM

Flight Trajectory

Post by LazyM »

Wondering if anyone has ever computed their trajectory for their particular caliber and bullet. Yes, yes..I know it depends on a variety of things, so here are my particulars.

Caliber 45-70, muzzle velocity of approximately 1200 fps, sighted in for 600 yards, bullet weight of 535 (money bullet), coefficient of approximately .61 (if computed correctly). As another consideration, the muzzle/barrel will be approximately 1-2 feet off the ground at firing.

Why do I ask such things? The Gun Gods (i.e. the board of our gun club) have decided to erect a 12 foot high barrier/baffle on our outdoor rifle range at the 50 yard line (having seen the number of holes on the baffle at the short pistol range, perhaps a good idea? i.e. Can't fix stupid). My question for the above is, will the 12 foot high baffle constrict the shooting of my Sharps at 600 yards.

By my computations, my bullet should be approximately 5 1/2 to 6 feet high at 50 yards (one to two feet higher depending on how high the muzzle/barrel is off the ground), good enough to go under the baffle.

And just a thought...if my calculations are anywhere close, and my Sharps having somewhat of a higher trajectory arc than most modern day rifles, isn't it a bit scary that someone would/could actually shoot 12 feet high at 50 yards? :shock: :cry: Yes, the question is one of redundancy unfortunately.
Luke

Re: Flight Trajectory

Post by Luke »

*sigh* There is always someone "that stupid". They're everywhere.
Limber Up!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

That B.C. is pretty high for that bullet. 0.5 is going to be a lot closer for a G1 B.C.

I could run a simulation and get some pretty accurate numbers, but I don't think you'll be anywhere near 12 feet off the ground at 50 yards. The high point of the trajectory will be closer to ( but not exactly at ) the middle of the range you shoot at.

Personally I'd shoot and see if you make a hole in the baffle :-).

Chris.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

JBM ballistics is your friend. Learn to use it--it will save you a lot of time and ammo.

I agree our BC is too high. Using 0.5, aight 2.5 above bore line, standard conditions at sea level, you should be somewhere is the range of 40-42 inches high at 50 yds.

Between 200-450 yds, your bullet will be more than 10 feet above sight line.

Clarence
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Maybe a better question would be, if shooting prone and the bullet passes under the 50 yard 12 foot barrier at 11 feet 11 inches, how far is it going to go?
LazyM

Post by LazyM »

Thank you all. Glad to hear I will be ok.

And yes very scary about 11 feet, 11 inches.