Swiss Original and "Caviar" - Interchangeable?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bohonkie

Swiss Original and "Caviar" - Interchangeable?

Post by Bohonkie »

Hi. Forgive me if this has been answered before; I searched and didn't find an answer to my question: Is the original Swiss and the Caviar version interchangeable? That is, can I use the same loading procedures? Say, if I am loading XXX volume of 2F and compressing it, will I be able to load a newly determined volume of Caviar 2F and compress it to the same fill level (with fiber was and grease cookie)? I load for a .45-110, a Win '76 in .45-75, a Browning .40-65, a Win 1886 (made 1888) .40-65 and several muzzleloaders (rifle, shotgun, and revolver)... any concerns with switching over to Caviar in these guns? I have Caviar in 1F, 2F, 3F (but it doesn't say Caviar on the cannister), and NullB.
Many thanks,
mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
Randy Bohannon

Re: Swiss Original and "Caviar" - Interchangeable?

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Most likely no discernible difference other than price that you can determine without trying it. Some new load development most likely will be needed ,I would approach it like any other new powder it all needs to be tested with your methods and materials.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

I have used both Swiss and Swiss Caviar interchangeably and have noticed now difference except the Caviar might shoot a little cleaner. But I wouldn't swear to that as I wasn't really looking for a fouling difference at the time. I used the same wads and compression and received the same accuracy. Why pay more for the same results.

Dave
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

I inadvertently bought a whole bunch of Swiss Caviar a few years ago. I sold some to one of my my shooting buddies and he got some good results with the 1 1/2 F in his Browning .40-65. Both of us got the impression that Caviar needs little to no compression. I use regular Swiss, compressing some of my loads quite a bit and get good results in my silhouette and long range rifles.

I’m thinking about switching to Frontier Cartridge in Cowboy Action Shooting to use up all the 3F Caviar I have in the garage. 🤠

Cheers,

OVW
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, Caviar will likely work for that, but, so would standard Goex and better check the SASS rules and see what is the most cost effective propellant that is allowed.

Most Sass shooting is close and big, accuracy...........well not so much. Having shot FCD in Sass my suggestion would be to seek out the propellant that creates the least amount of smoke, that is available, that will hit a 10 inch circle at fifteen feet reliably and reserve the caviar for silhouette and target.

You don't mention where you live so I can't be much more help.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Thanks, all, for the replies. I was worried that it was some sort of modern black powder substitute like Ramshot. I was more concerned with safety than anything else. I'll try it but with a little less compression, as OldVarkWSO suggested. By the way, when I ordered the powder, I had used up all my GOEX cartridge (my Quigley rifle in 45-110 really likes that) and was running very low on Swiss 2F. All they had available at the site where I ordered this was the Caviar stuff (I just thought it was a new label) so I went for it. Haven't had to use it until now. Oh, I live in NorthernUtah.
Thanks again everyone!
mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie
Bohonkie

Post by Bohonkie »

Thanks, all, for the replies. I was worried that it was some sort of modern black powder substitute like Ramshot. I was more concerned with safety than anything else. I'll try it but with a little less compression, as OldVarkWSO suggested. By the way, when I ordered the powder, I had used up all my GOEX cartridge (my Quigley rifle in 45-110 really likes that) and was running very low on Swiss 2F. All they had available at the site where I ordered this was the Caviar stuff (I just thought it was a new label) so I went for it. Haven't had to use it until now. Oh, I live in NorthernUtah.
Thanks again everyone!
mj
The Ultimate Predator
Bohonkie