Made in Maybee Michigan

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MC One Shot

Made in Maybee Michigan

Post by MC One Shot »

Does any one know or remember of any single shot rifles with a 1885 HW type action being made in Maybee Michigan? Looking for information on quality etc. Thanks
DaveC

Re: Made in Maybee Michigan

Post by DaveC »

Yes, sort of. The Fix brothers (one was named Leo; can’t remember the other one’s name) started up the Falling Block Works, which sold several sizes and styles of a single shot action design they worked out. The company was located in Troy, Michigan, but for some reason (maybe to drive future collectors crazy), they stamped the receivers with the company name and the names of multiple small towns in lower Michigan, including Troy.

I have a Model S action rifle (looks sort of like a Stevens, but the same mechanism inside as all the others) stamped “MAYBEE MICHIGAN” and have seen one of the Highwall looking ones (Model J, I believe) stamped “ROCHESTER MICHIGAN.” That was my old home town way back. I would have liked to find a Model K, the small-size Highwall Model, with that town name, but by the time I could get to Troy on a visit back to Michigan, the company had gone out of business.
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Finish is very utilitarian; not fancy. The design is simple, but mine has worked very well. Whatever alloy they made it out of is very hard and very tough. Mine had a chip that hadn’t been cleaned out of the threads. I didn’t have a tap of that size, so cleaning it out with a file was the only option I had, and it took a while. No other problems since. They can handle any cartridge proportional to the action size. I never saw set triggers offered, and the actions all work with stock bolts, so no tangs for tang sights.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Amazing, I was born and raised in Troy Mich. and Rochester was the next Village. I never head of such a company(s). This is area close to Charlie Dell's old stomping grounds. Left Mich. for the west 30 yrs ago.
kw
MC One Shot

Post by MC One Shot »

DaveC wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:36 am Yes, sort of. The Fix brothers (one was named Leo; can’t remember the other one’s name) started up the Falling Block Works, which sold several sizes and styles of a single shot action design they worked out. The company was located in Troy, Michigan, but for some reason (maybe to drive future collectors crazy), they stamped the receivers with the company name and the names of multiple small towns in lower Michigan, including Troy.

I have a Model S action rifle (looks sort of like a Stevens, but the same mechanism inside as all the others) stamped “MAYBEE MICHIGAN” and have seen one of the Highwall looking ones (Model J, I believe) stamped “ROCHESTER MICHIGAN.” That was my old home town way back. I would have liked to find a Model K, the small-size Highwall Model, with that town name, but by the time I could get to Troy on a visit back to Michigan, the company had gone out of business.
Thank you....